Scubapro Galileo 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive MBL-0 with no human factors enabled. Just the straight algorithm.

This item has me drooling, I must confess. But, actual operation is more important and I don't want a more conservative algorithm.

As I age (hitting 60 soon), I like having the option to implement MB levels, or even adding the human factors, but those only make the computer "more" conservative, which is why I want to start with a more liberal algorithm.

I can tell you from experience that the Scubapro algorithm is more conservative that DSAT. I rented an Oceanic computer set to DSAT in Bali and was amazed by the longer bottom times over 5 days of diving, until a case of skin bends . . .

Far different story in Bonaire over 5 straight days of 3 dives every day, where my Sol gave plenty of bottom time (usually gas limited) and no hint of any physiological issues.

If the Sol and G-2 are the same conservatism, then no issue and I start saving my money!!

If not, I wait to see of S offers a firmware option for the ZHL-8.
Hi Guy,

I know what you mean. I'm 63, been diving DSAT for 15 years, 1300 dives, no suggestion of DCS. You stick with what works. I'm figuring out what GFs best match DSAT, it's not perfectly straightforward.

One neg: (Pardon the pun) is that the battery is absolutely 100% not user changeable. You have to return it to a SP dealer for a new one.

Yes saw that. No bigger for me with 50 hour life and Years of use. Lots of dealers around easy to replace. I like the rechargeable battery.

Yes saw that. No bigger for me with 50 hour life and Years of use. Lots of dealers around easy to replace. I like the rechargeable battery.

Have they explained to dealers how batteries are going to be replaced? Or is this another case of "off to Jules"?

As usual my patience lasted around 24 hours. Just ordered the G2 from my LDS they already have them in stock. I pick it up tomorrow. AUD price $1630 (that's with my LDS discount). My old Luna will be going on ebay/gumtree to offset the cost.

Cant wait, such a shame I have non diving plans this weekend I wont get it into the water until the 17th!!!

Have they explained to dealers how batteries are going to be replaced? Or is this another case of "off to Jules"?

Just learned that dealers will be getting a "special tool" to open the case.

Just learned that dealers will be getting a "special tool" to open the case.
Hopefully it will quickly become available on Amazon like the other Scubapro "special tools". Otherwise, that would be a deal breaker for me.

That's just shady as hell, deliberately creating a situation where customers have to pay for repair when they otherwise would not.

Well, let's keep it in perspective. If the LiOn battery can go through 200 charge cycles, at 50 hours life, that is 10,000 hours of dive time before replacement. Does anyone really think it is a major problem, after 10 years, to go down to your local shop (or send it by mail) for a new battery? Which will be installed and sealed by the dealer and backed by whatever warranty they offer for the repair?

That is not even close to a deal breaker, in my book, even if costs some bucks for the labor.

My concern is whether the new algorithm is more conservative than the Galileo. THAT makes a real and tangible difference on every dive.

Since I have to save up for this, I can wait to see what information develops.

Hopefully, someone will dive the G2 with their Galileo and report for sure if there are differences.

Well, let's keep it in perspective. If the LiOn battery can go through 200 charge cycles, at 50 hours life, that is 10,000 hours of dive time before replacement. . Does anyone really think it is a major problem, after 10 years, to go down to your local shop (or send it by mail) for a new battery? Which will be installed and sealed by the dealer and backed by whatever warranty they offer for the repair?

That is not even close to a deal breaker, in my book, even if costs some bucks for the labor.

My concern is whether the new algorithm is more conservative than the Galileo. THAT makes a real and tangible difference on every dive.

Since I have to save up for this, I can wait to see what information develops.

Hopefully, someone will dive the G2 with their Galileo and report for sure if there are differences.
It would not be a problem if that's really the way things work out. Just look at cell phones or any other commonly used device with a rechargeable and non replaceable battery. There are always lots of cases of the battery failing long before the advertised lifespan of the battery. Perhaps a user recharged their device before the battery before it was completely dead. Perhaps they did some other thing that unwittingly reduced battery life. Perhaps the thing was defective, or perhaps the stated specs for the battery was just a load of BS. This will eventually be a problem for somebody. Less critical for a drive over to BHB where I should have charged the thing while I was working. Unless I forget to do that for some reason.

Why do I care? I was planning to get two of these computers to replace existing old Galileo units. Maybe I still will. But I damn sure will have extra batteries on hand if I go on a week long dive trip like the trip to Roatan I'm going on at the end of the month. That hinges on there being some way to replace the battery for sure.

Edit:
That sounded misleading. I'm not planning to buy them in the next two weeks. The trip was just an example. If I buy it will probably be this winter.

I believe that it is a trade off whether you go with a user changeable battery like the Galileo has or a rechargeable battery like the G2.
The positive side of the rechargeable battery is you don't have to open the battery compartment which increases the risk of flooding.

Back
Top Bottom