Scubapro G250V vs S600?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Based on an earlier thread, an SP mk17/g250v was the frontrunner for my upcoming reg purchase, so I was at the shop today to inquire about prices and other options they recommend. Sounds like that combo is one they use a lot in their rental stock and sell often; the guy I was talking to has one as well. I was the only customer so the shop owner was helping me out as well, explaining why the g250v is a good cold water reg, but then suggested that if I wanted something a little smaller there was there S600 which apparently now has a metal barrel. (He also pointed out the A700, but didn't say much about it). If I understood him correctly, it sounds like there's less jaw fatigue for the g250v, which seems a bit counter-intuitive, but ok.

I've done a bit of a search for comparison threads, but anything that has come up was saying g250v is better, one of the main reasons being metal parts vs the S600's plastic parts, but it's got a metal barrel too now, so...?

Is the G250V still a better second stage?

I don't have a G250V, but I do have the older G250's and an S600 (plastic barrel). Both breath well and are excellent regulators, you will not go wrong with either.

Jaw fatique is an individual issue, some people are more prone to it than others. Mouthpieces can make a big difference. A G250 may weigh more outside the water than an S600 but underwater they are about the same. The G250's larger case displaces more water making feel the same as the lighter S600. However the newer S600 with the metal barrel may not be lighter anymore so the G250 may actually be lighter underwater now.

My recommendation is to try both if possible to see which one you like better. As I said earlier you cannot go wrong with either one.

The way I see it is the increased area of the diaphragm of the G250 gets (slightly) better sensitivity, but a metal barrel S600 shouldn't be too far behind.

I sort of remember experiencing some kind of mild jaw fatigue in the beginning, but, with the same setup, it went away after I got loose and comfy in the water.

I may not be helpful here but I have the MK17 / G250V and an S600. Right now I'm diving with the S600 and an OctoZ alternate air source but I refuse to get rid of my G250V because I love them both. I only use the S600 now because I like the slightly smaller profile. I don't have 1000s of dives under my belt but from my experience I can tell no difference in breathing performance between the two. Even with the metal barrel of my G250v my throat would still get dry from time to time same as my plastic barrel S600.

I find as the water cools below 80 the "moisturizing" properties of metal regs become more noticeable.

Does anybody have any experience with the new metal S600? If they breath basically the same and have similar cold water capability, I'd probably opt for the S600, based on size, unless there's a large price difference, but if the G250V is still better, I'll go for that (I think it's also the cheaper of the two). I'm hoping our resident reg-gurus will chime in on this.

Oreo, check what your dealer has in stock. I thought that the S600 is usually paired with a MK25 while the G250V is paired with the MK17. The MK25 is not a great cold water reg. Your dealer may need to order a S600 with a MK17.

Check with D.A. Aquamaster, he should be able to tell you. My gut feeling is no difference.

ams, I'd have to double check with them, but when I was there the other day, we were talking about the mk17 and the shop owner made it sound like if I'd prefer a smaller second stage the s600 was an option. He made no mention of the mk25 at all. (the only mention of it was that there used to be one attached to the g250v in the display, based on the price tag).

If D.A. doesn't comment in the next little while I'll probably send him a pm. I'm also starting to think now the only difference might be price and size.

I think you'll notice very little difference between the metal barrel S600 and the G250V. Anyone that told you there is a difference in "jaw fatigue" between the two is full of it. Jaw fatigue or discomfort is primarily due to problems with hose length or routing and, to a lesser extent, mouthpiece type.

The main difference between the 2 regs is that the S600 is a little more complicated, but that's an issue for the service tech. The G250 is a little larger and so the diaphragm does have (at least theoretically) more mechanical advantage on the lever, but I suspect that the S600 has a bit of a stronger venturi assist...that's a guess but probably a good one. I like simple regs so if I were buying I'd go for the G250V. Don't forget, though, that the S600 has been very successful and has long enjoyed a popularity as SP high end 2nd stage.

The Mk 17/A700 is the best cold water regulator system Scubapro offers. The full metal A700 is the ultimate cold water 2nd stage. Both the S600 and G250V are excellent choices when paired with the Mk17.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom