Scubapro G250V. Opinions. Worth the hype?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What 1st stage would you want to run each of these on after you rebuilt and upgraded them to Balanced Adjustable?

Where can I learn to do it/get certified to do it?

You can use just about any first stage. My personal favorites are Conshelf or even better, the Aqua Lung Titan for its hose routing (same internals on both).

I basically picked what I considered the best from each company…they are close to bullet proof as they get. I do my own service and by standardizing into only a few models I also minimize the parts inventory.

You can also pick any Scubapro first stage.

Thanks everyone... I was also following advice from many of you in other threads.

---Mike

The G250V shares service parts with the G260 except the diaphragm that is a modern style, like the G260, but bigger, it fits neither the G250 or the G260. The G250V has improved the breathing performance by 50% compared to the G250HP. The exhaust is changed, with better lip space (a lip shield can be installed). The mouthpiece is attached with a reusable clip system. The case is reinforced the 30% fibreglass. Barrel etc. are full metal. The purge button can be locked in storage position like the G260.
With the MK17 first stage it is superb for extreme cold water because of its all metal design and big cooling fins.
It does not share the fine-tune adjustment screw with the G260 but has a more robust old style system.
My modern 2022 regs does not match it... this is a really a special, fine and very comfortable regulator like no other. Yes, it is worth the hype... it is still sold (some makes them from parts) and it is sold rebranded as an Halcyon Halo, also.

The G250V shares service parts with the G260 except the diaphragm that is a modern style, like the G260, but bigger, it fits neither the G250 or the G260. The G250V has improved the breathing performance by 50% compared to the G250HP. The exhaust is changed, with better lip space (a lip shield can be installed). The mouthpiece is attached with a reusable clip system. The case is reinforced the 30% fibreglass. Barrel etc. are full metal. The purge button can be locked in storage position like the G260.
It does not share the fine-tune adjustment screw with the G260 but has a more robust old style system.
My modern 2022 regs does not match it... this is a really a special, fine and very comfortable regulator like no other. Yes, it is worth the hype... it is still sold (some makes them from parts) and it is sold rebranded as an Halcyon Halo, also.
Holy thread revival batman

Well, I don't know why you would enjoy it more than the old G250, as the G250V is basically a copy of the old ones. That said, I've only dove with the older G250s so there might be some difference that I'm not aware of.

The balanced adjustables are IMO among the best breathers, although I also really like the D series regs. (D300 is what I have) There are subjective differences in the way these regs feel in the water, and each has it's advantages, but I couldn't really say one is better than the other. If I had one D300, one balanced adjustable, and one G250, and I had to sell one, it would be the G250.
Once you update the G250 to s-wing it becomes the same as a G250V, performance is identical. The only reason I prefer, by a hair, the G250V is it has the seat saving purge.

The G250/V are two of my favourite second stages. Simple, reliable and high performing.

Once you update the G250 to s-wing it becomes the same as a G250V, performance is identical. The only reason I prefer, by a hair, the G250V is it has the seat saving purge.

The G250/V are two of my favourite second stages. Simple, reliable and high performing.
Item numbers are not identical due to new materials; housing, diaphragm etc ... so not a 1 to 1, but it's amazing.
And a good idea from Scubapro to bring a good and well-tried design to life again - and keep it simple.
It seems that Scubapro has now done it again, with the new G260 Graphite, which is a bit of the same "Vintage" idea in the design with references to the G250 Graphite.

I've converted multiples of ten G250 to
S-wing poppet. IIRC I've built from scratch over 40 new G250Vs. I stand by my post, it has been my experience that performance is identical.

There is a new G260 Graphite? That I didn't know. Do you have a link? Cheers.

The internals are identical once converted, same poppet, same spring, same balance chamber, same orifice and same lever. Both tune identical. Case is same size. If you can tell the difference in a blind test even breathing them side by side I'll eat one. Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom