Scubapro G250V. Opinions. Worth the hype?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldstroke

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Even Though father's day is around the corner my son, who is at university, asked me to pose this inquiry. He cannot afford a BigMac so he is hinting. Guess who pays the tuition bills? Dad, at Mom's direction. Your opinions are valued. We dive Balanced Adjustables and X650's Thank you & HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

I really love my G250V. It is very confortable, the air flow is huge (usually I use it even at surface, instead of snorkel, just because it gives me a lot more air :) ).

It feels great - I don't have a dry mouth after using, no jaw fatigue. The bubbles are exhausted arround my neck, at the base of the chin, and they don't disturb me at all.

The knobs are easy to handle with thick gloves on hand. It is so sensible that, when set to maximum performance, it will freeflow as soon as you take it from your mouth (until you rotate it mouthpiece down or push your thumb on the mouthpiece); this is great when breathing from it - a friend of mine said that it is pushing air into the mouth almost by force :)

I never enjoyed another regulator more. I dived until now Scubapro S600, the old G250, the R295 and R395; some Seemann Sub regulators, some Mares and Seac. By far, I felt the best with the G250V.

By the way, mix it with a MK17 and it will be just gorgeous.

Well, I don't know why you would enjoy it more than the old G250, as the G250V is basically a copy of the old ones. That said, I've only dove with the older G250s so there might be some difference that I'm not aware of.

The balanced adjustables are IMO among the best breathers, although I also really like the D series regs. (D300 is what I have) There are subjective differences in the way these regs feel in the water, and each has it's advantages, but I couldn't really say one is better than the other. If I had one D300, one balanced adjustable, and one G250, and I had to sell one, it would be the G250.

I am 100% sure that I feel the G250V breathing much more easier than the old G250. I searched, but cannot find data about the old G250 breathing effort, so it will be just my feeling (until anybody can confirm/deny it based on measured values);

Well, I don't know why you would enjoy it more than the old G250, as the G250V is basically a copy of the old ones. That said, I've only dove with the older G250s so there might be some difference that I'm not aware of.

The balanced adjustables are IMO among the best breathers, although I also really like the D series regs. (D300 is what I have) There are subjective differences in the way these regs feel in the water, and each has it's advantages, but I couldn't really say one is better than the other. If I had one D300, one balanced adjustable, and one G250, and I had to sell one, it would be the G250.

Is your older G250 a G250HP? That could explain it. Otherwise, if you have the original G250, I believe the working parts and geometry of the reg are the same, with one substantial difference; the older one has a brass orifice that is better than the new plastic ones.

If you take a G250V and an older G250, rebuild them both and tune them to the same first stage, then compare them on the same dive, on the same 1st stage, I would be willing to bet that there would be little or no difference in performance.

I'm not saying you are mistaken, I'm saying that I'm fairly certain there are other variables besides the quality of each 2nd stage that are resulting in what you're experiencing.

The G250 and G250V are essentially the same reg with the above mentioned orifice difference and cosmetic changes. If the orifice is even slightly damaged or excessively worn in a G250, inhalation effort is compromised as more spring pressure is needed to stop any freeflow.

An older stiffer diaphragm will make a difference as well and a hard breathing G250 is often cured with a new diaphragm if a new orifice did not resolve the problem.

There are also minor differences in flow vanes in the G250's and you can reverse the vane, so it is possible to have an identical inhalation effort with a difference in he venturi effect even with both set at "max".

Personally, I have 5 or 6 G250's and all deliver a cracking effort of less than .8". In the water you need about 1.0" to prevent a slight freeflow between breathes so the extra .2" of performance is a moot point.

In comparision to an X650, the G250 or G250V will breathe better with a lower useable inhalation effort due to better case geometry and the G250/G250V will have less dry mouth due to the metal airbarrel.

If I had one D300, one balanced adjustable, and one G250, and I had to sell one, it would be the G250.

I had a pair or S600's a D350 and some G250's and had to sell some. I sold the D350 first then the S600's and ended up buying 3 BA's :eyebrow:.

The D series is nice but I like the simplicity of the G250s' and 109's (even more)

If I was looking to buy new then the G250V would be the one. But for the price I could buy and rebuild many G250s or 109's/156's.

I could probably get a G250V at 30% over cost, yet it is still cheaper to buy a G250 off e-bay and rebuild it (or buy a G200 and upgrade it) and, rebuilding an R109 and upgrading it to a Balanced Adjustable is MUCH cheaper - the R109/R156 is the best used reg buy out there - and will offer the same performance.

...rebuilding an R109 and upgrading it to a Balanced Adjustable is MUCH cheaper - the R109/R156 is the best used reg buy out there - and will offer the same performance.

What 1st stage would you want to run each of these on after you rebuilt and upgraded them to Balanced Adjustable?

Where can I learn to rebuild/upgrade these regs and get certified to do it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom