Scubapro G-250 stop clip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ToddK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
I have Harlow's and Wolfinger's books, as well as the Scubapro G250 service manual, but I have a question. Reinstalling the stop clip (prevents the adjuster knob from being fully unscrewed) was harder than I expected, so I thought I'd ask if I was missing a trick or a tool? All the G250 manual says is "Install the stop clip."

Thanks,
-Todd.

I have never seen any instructions either - other than "install the clip". But this is what works for me...

On the G250 (as well as the metal cased R109 Adjustable and R156 Balanced Adjustable) you need to insert the clip in the hole (obviously) and then can usually get the clip back up over the top of the air barrel by just screwing the knob in (it works much better if it has an all metal adjustment knob) as it will push the clip up over the edge of the air barrel as it squeezes it out of the gap between the knob and airbarrel.

If you have a plastic or coated knob, and/or if the clip sets to low to roll over the edge of the air barrel when the knob is screwed in, you can lift the clip up over the edge with the tip of a screw driver by closing the adjustment knob enough to let you twist the blade of the screwdriver between the knob and clip. Be very careful though not to use excessive force as it is possible to bend the stem on the knob.

When using a screw driver, you want to be sure to insert the screw driver into the gap between the clip and knob from the side so that you are twisting against the knob (in effect pushing out on the knob) rather than from over the knob where you would then be levering off the knob and pushing it sideways - a sure way to bend the stem.

It's a small detail, but generally speaking whenever you have a choice, pins, screws and clips should be inserted from top to bottom so that if they come loose gravity holds them in place. It probably prevents them from being lost a little less often than if they were inserted from bottom to top.

Good decription DA, I'm going to asume that the OP knows the flat part of the clip goes all the way in with the curved part sitting over thetop of the barrel. If you were to try and put it in "strait" it would be near impossible.

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about just screwing the knob in. My knob is of the plastic coated variety, so I'm not sure how well it will work. I understand DA's point about not pushing over the knob, and will use care when trying it tonight. Thanks again.

I always just used a bent nose needle plier that allows me to insert the pin and then twist it on to the barrel into place. With a good set of bent nose pliers I have always had good control of the pin and never scratched or damaged any surface or part.

Of the Scubapro line of regulators, I have only worked on metal cased Adjustable R109 and Balanced Adjustable R156, but it sounds that the metal barrel G250 is the same.

I was missing a clip so I made some out of brass wire from Home Depot. They work a bit easier than the original SS clips.

I opted for the screwdriver approach, and it went pretty well, though the screwdriver skidded a little at the moment that the clip snapped over the air barrel. I'll have to get a pair of bent nose pliers, and give that a go. Thanks for all of the replies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom