Scubapro chrome plated brass regulators...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With my limited experience, I’m thinking there’s a correlation between this oscillation at this particular vacuum/suck level and frequency equaling restriction degree inside this first stage. Hmmm need a scientist.

Maybe time to take it apart and investigate, I do have a service kit for it.

Is it 3 standard cubic feet per minute or hour that you are moving through the regulator?

Does the first stage do the same thing on a different second stage?

Does the second stage do the same thing on a different first stage?
Per hour, so 1.5 LPM, yes balanced and unbalanced, no same 2nd works fine on different 1st sages, Also have used different tanks and valves. It seems to point to the first stage I’m guessing.

Per hour, so 1.5 LPM, yes balanced and unbalanced, no same 2nd works fine on different 1st sages, Also have used different tanks and valves. It seems to point to the first stage I’m guessing.
That is a very low flow rate. How does the reg do at higher (normal inhalation) rates? Like 15 to 30 lpm

I’m thinking there’s a correlation between this oscillation at this particular vacuum/suck level and frequency equaling restriction degree inside this first stage. Hmmm need a scientist
I suppose it's possible you're at a resonant frequency for that particular spring damper system

That is a very low flow rate. How does the reg do at higher (normal inhalation) rates? Like 15 to 30 lpm[/QUOTE

With my setup I have micro vac pump 0-10 lpm, I just tested @ 3 lpm and it doesn’t oscillate as much, the more I increase the flow the less it move around and the frequency of movement is far less. I was trying to understand why with my MK10 for example even at 1.5 lpm once the ip dips and recovers it holds solid at the adjusted effort even at the higher flows. Trying to determine if I’m detecting a fault inside the atomic before I open for inspection.

With my setup I have micro vac pump 0-10 lpm, I just tested @ 3 lpm and it doesn’t oscillate as much, the more I increase the flow the less it move around and the frequency of movement is far less. I was trying to understand why with my MK10 for example even at 1.5 lpm once the ip dips and recovers it holds solid at the adjusted effort even at the higher flows. Trying to determine if I’m detecting a fault inside the atomic before I open for inspection.

wish I had another Atomic to compare. :)
Open it up and add another spacer to the spring. It'll bump the intermediate pressure up, but it'd change the harmonic frequency.

Other thing to do would be test at different flow rates. You said it's much better at double the rate... what about triple? How about half?

(Do note that I'm asking these questions based more on an engineering knowledge of mass damper systems and not because they're specific or standard regulator diagnostic tests)

Back
Top Bottom