Scubapro chrome plated brass regulators...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought about that given the filters history so I removed it and retested same results.
Some debris or foreign body trapped inside?

It’s amazing to watch how it sits here and oscillates back-and-forth continuously. I didn’t notice any differences when breathing on it, wonder at depth if I would.? But I’m sure upon inspection after taking it apart I’ll find something. Interesting.

@Overweighted Divide and conquer. Test just the first stage IP at high and low supply pressure. You may be introducing an undetectable leak by attaching a second stage. If you have nothing attached to the first stage except the IP gauge (and a pressure relief valve) check it's behavior. If the problem still exist spray it down while pressurized with diluted soapy water and look for bubbles. No bubbles, then yes you may need to open it up and look for the culprit. The corrosion on the filter may have been from a quick splash or it could indicate water has entered the first stage.

First stage w direct reading IP gauge.jpg

Testing my Atomic first stage this rainy Sunday morning...

Tank pressure 1400, IP 135 locked up. G250 connected, turned on the micro vacuum pump set it to 3 SCFH and watched the IP drop and quickly recovers 132, inhalation effort .7 perfect at that moment. Just after recovery the IP will drop again inhalation goes up IP will then recover 132 and inhalation effort goes back to .7, and the processes keeps repeating itself.

Removed the filter no help, switch the tank for one filled to 2800 no help.

Any thoughts on what would cause this? Hope my explanation makes sense.

I did see green corrosion on the filter about a month ago cleaned it and it seem to work fine, this it something new but still maybe related to corrosion inside?

Thanks,

IP always drops when a second stage is purged or breathed. I would expect inhalation effort of the second stage to increase with the drop in IP, in the absence of a venturi effect.

IP of Piston regulators typically drop more than diaphragm regulators in a purge/breathe cycle (mine do anyway), and take slightly longer to recover.

@Overweighted Divide and conquer. Test just the first stage IP at high and low supply pressure. You may be introducing an undetectable leak by attaching a second stage. If you have nothing attached to the first stage except the IP gauge (and a pressure relief valve) check it's behavior. If the problem still exist spray it down while pressurized with diluted soapy water and look for bubbles. No bubbles, then yes you may need to open it up and look for the culprit. The corrosion on the filter may have been from a quick splash or it could indicate water has entered the first stage.
May have that covered... with tank off system will hold IP all night, also the 2nd stage will hold vacuum 15-20 min. Water test no leaks. ??

May have that covered... with tank off system will hold IP all night, also the 2nd stage will hold vacuum 15-20 min. Water test no leaks. ??

Also tested same 2nd on a different 1st without observing any oscillating behaviour.

IP always drops when a second stage is purged or breathed. I would expect inhalation effort of the second stage to increase with the drop in IP, in the absence of a venturi effect.

IP of Piston regulators typically drop more than diaphragm regulators in a purge/breathe cycle (mine do anyway), and take slightly longer to recover.
Yes but this first stage keeps bouncing... drops recovers drops recovers with continuous simulated inhalation from my micro vac pump. Other first stages that I have will make an initial drop then recover and hold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom