Scubapro buyers--Beware and be informed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchance

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I live in a part of the country where there are very few Scubapro dealers but am one of their biggest supporters. I simply love the quality of their equipment and the near bullet-proof reliability of it. That being said, I currently own/maintain 9 SmartComs, 8 SmartZ/TECs and 2 Lunas for use by my family.

I recently sent in a single Smart TEC for service after a week of diving in Bonaire. It worked perfectly while on the trip but would not sync via IR with my computer. It had about 94% battery life remaining but simply would not sync. It was returned to me "bricked"!! Acording to Scubapro, it failed their calibration. They removed the battery and returned the unit. Now I have a dead unit with no way to even attempt further diagnostics or to see if I can retrieve the data manually; much less the fact that it worked well when sent in and had a high battery life remaining. NOW IT IS USELESS!!

According to Jules, that is Johnson's policy.
If I had had any idea that this would happen, it would not have been sent as it worked for it's primary purpose. To make it worse, not only have they removed one of my kids units, I was not offered absolutely any recourse to purchase or exchange the unit for another unit of any level.

There are too many other units by other manufacturers out there of similar quality at a lessor price and more friendly customer service to accept this kind of treatment. I have worked with Scubapro's policies toward consumers for 20 years and they have NOT improved. They are difficult at best compared to most other currently popular manufacturers. As I said, my unit worked. It was not like I had sent in a non-functioning unit for repair. Now it is absolutely worthless except for the wrist bands that I can reuse on another if needed. This kind of service is absolutely unacceptable. If they had simply returned the unit with a note that if would not sync anymore would have been much more acceptable. If they want to "brick" my unit, at least offer some type of replacement at a fair cost!

Scubapro buyers be aware of their treatment!!

I live in a part of the country where there are very few Scubapro dealers but am one of their biggest supporters. I simply love the quality of their equipment and the near bullet-proof reliability of it. That being said, I currently own/maintain 9 SmartComs, 8 SmartZ/TECs and 2 Lunas for use by my family.

I recently sent in a single Smart TEC for service after a week of diving in Bonaire. It worked perfectly while on the trip but would not sync via IR with my computer. It had about 94% battery life remaining but simply would not sync. It was returned to me "bricked"!! Acording to Scubapro, it failed their calibration. They removed the battery and returned the unit. Now I have a dead unit with no way to even attempt further diagnostics or to see if I can retrieve the data manually; much less the fact that it worked well when sent in and had a high battery life remaining. NOW IT IS USELESS!!

According to Jules, that is Johnson's policy.
If I had had any idea that this would happen, it would not have been sent as it worked for it's primary purpose. To make it worse, not only have they removed one of my kids units, I was not offered absolutely any recourse to purchase or exchange the unit for another unit of any level.

There are too many other units by other manufacturers out there of similar quality at a lessor price and more friendly customer service to accept this kind of treatment. I have worked with Scubapro's policies toward consumers for 20 years and they have NOT improved. They are difficult at best compared to most other currently popular manufacturers. As I said, my unit worked. It was not like I had sent in a non-functioning unit for repair. Now it is absolutely worthless except for the wrist bands that I can reuse on another if needed. This kind of service is absolutely unacceptable. If they had simply returned the unit with a note that if would not sync anymore would have been much more acceptable. If they want to "brick" my unit, at least offer some type of replacement at a fair cost!

Scubapro buyers be aware of their treatment!!

By what authority did they remove and retain the battery?

This thread is also posted in the Scubapro forum above. They removed it on their own authority. I suspect that they tried to access the unit via the IR interface (which is why it was sent to begin with) and when that failed, they shut down the unit by removing the battery. They said it failed "calibration" but how would they know if they could not access the interface? This unit did not function any differently or give any out of range numbers as compared to the other 9 divers' computers in the group. To me it appears the they took a perfectly functioning unit with a bad IR eye and bricked it. If that is true, then some sort of replacement should have been offered in it's place. It functioned and certainly appeared to be accurate compared to the other 9 (all some type of Scubapro/Uwatec units) computers on the trip which to me says it was a good unit with a bad eye.

That sucks, I'd be super pissed. It's almost unbelievable. I recently bought some SP regs and was given the whole parts for life speech, I declined. I was told unless I registered and complied then they would not be covered should a warranty issue arise. I have no idea if this is correct or not or even if that's legal. I resented the "strong arm tactics" seemingly employed and declined anyway. I think they make great regs but their policies leave something to be desired.

Last edited:
I don't get this. You are relating your experience with a computer that has not even been made for 7 years, let alone how old your unit might actually be. To trash Scubapro for not giving you some sweet deal on a new computer, when yours is old, out of production, and long out of warranty, is way out of line. To call it a "warning" about Scubapro service is actually ridiculous.

You say Scubapro "bricked" it but you are just guessing. Your guess that they somehow "zapped" it though the ir port seems pretty farfetched. You sent it in for what seemed (to you) to be a minor repair. They discovered a fault which prevented the computer from functioning properly and to specification. They could not repair it and refused to place a not-properly-functioning old, discontinued, out of warranty unit back in the hands of a diver. They also would not give you a sweet upgrade to a new one from your at-least-seven-year-old unit.

So???

Here is my example. I bought a Sol, used, through e-bay, from the original owner who also sent me his original receipt. The computer worked great. After about 40 dives the battery died. It had leaked acid, and I thought I had messed up the o ring when replacing it so that water leaked in. Put a new one in. Great for 30 dives then died. It had leaked acid again. Replaced it and great again for 25 dives, then same thing. Even tho I am a klutz, 3 for 3 is too much and I took it to my LDS (a scubapro platinum dealer who I did not even buy it from). They sent it in. I well knew I had no warranty and was ready to pay to have it fixed, no problem. Scubapro discovered a fault on the circuit board that they said was shorting the battery, and it could not be fixed. They then offered through the shop to sell me a new Sol for a very substantial discount off of retail (and off of what even internet sellers ask). The new one would also carry a full warranty. They did not have to do that and I was pretty happy to get the new one. .

Whether they would do that on an old, discontinued model is up to them. I have no complaints, but I don't think you do, either. Are you really willing to deny their word and place that computer on a member of your family for their next dive?

It has been my experience that the really good companies offer you some kind of "deal" if they cannot repair a product that is no longer made. They don't abandon the customer. I don't think the OP deserves to get a free replacement but something offered, perhaps at dealer cost, as a goodwill gesture to ensure customer loyalty wouldn't be out of line.

.... You sent it in for what seemed (to you) to be a minor repair. They discovered a fault which prevented the computer from functioning properly and to specification. They could not repair it and refused to place a not-properly-functioning old, discontinued, out of warranty unit back in the hands of a diver.

What do you think the authority might be for them to do that? Do you think your car dealer might have that same authority? :shakehead:

My Atomic Cobalt dealer just replaced my computer that flooded. It was out of warranty; but, they new they were the only ones to open it I think.

Not replace it or not giving a deal on a new unit is still OK. To not fix it, and to remove the battery from the unit, so the owner can't no longer use it is just ****ty practice.

It is like you bring your out of warranty car in for a repair that the dealer can't do. Instead of returning the car in the condition as it comes in to the rightful owner, the dealer removes the engine because the they think the car is no long safe to drive. Now the owner is left with a car without a engine. If you are that owner, how would you feel???

WRONG! Just wrong on so many levels.

I have sent in discontinued models, and I received one back that failed. It still worked but I was told to not use it.

MY computer. MY choice. I would definitely complain to ScubaPro and demand the battery back in it.

Back
Top Bottom