Scubapro buyers--Beware and be informed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing about my post is grounded in anything except reality. however, it seems you did not fully read it. I suggested that they found a fault other than the ir port. Keeping the computer is pretty drastic, and I would only expect that if they discovered a core defect in its functionality as a diving computer, not just a defect in the port where it exports dive info.

As for humor, the comments about "stealing" and "well I could use it as a jogging timer" really crack me up. If they let this computer, functioning but with a critical defect, out in the world, they could only expect one outcome--someone would use it for what it actually is made for, and try to dive it. So, go ahead, trash them for keeping a defective computer worth less than $0 because you can't jog with it. Do you think they would really care about that, as opposed to them sending it back (working, but in a defective manner), and someone down the road picking it up and saying, "looks good, let's go dive" and having a problem?

More to the point, thinking it over I do agree they could have treated Jchance better than they did even if they were not obligated to. Maybe that it is what beaverdiver is getting at. I bought my computer used but went through my LDS for the repair. They like me and they are a big dealer, and I believe they persuaded scubapro to give me a break on the replacement. Nothing sinister about the question, it can make a difference when your rights are expired but you have a dealer in your corner. If you actually bought it from the dealer it might make even more of a difference.

A manufacturer does have the mean for limiting his liability concerning a defective product he produced. It is called a repair or a recall, not a repo. They just do not have any authority to simply take it back or destroy the product without the owner's consent. If this, in fact, were a dangerous computer, why would anyone assume it is a one-of-kind fault. It should be fairly clear that such a fault could exist in other items. Do you figure Scubapro just plans on dealing with them in a similar manner when they get sent in for repair?

I suspect the service department made an error in failing to reassemble and return a complete item, working or not. Maybe Scubapro will respond to this on their forum as it does seem to be a PR distraction.

I'm trying to picture myself looking at a worn out tire that I sold in the distant past and then taking my knife and slicing the sidewall because it wasn't safe for the customer to drive on. Somehow I think that would cost me a new tire.

Basically from my point of view, they destroyed it with utter disregard for the owner. I love their equipment but at times absolutely abhor their Draconian customer (NON)service policies! Scubapro (Johnson Wax) can be the hardest people with which to deal that I have ever met.
Buy a new non SP computer and send them the bill!
SP charges around US$100.00 to change the battery of the old oil filled Uwatec computer. So I learnt how to do it on line for a grand total of under US$10.00.
I am NOT sure if I have any SP scuba equipment beside the 330m BT.

I don't get this. You are relating your experience with a computer that has not even been made for 7 years, let alone how old your unit might actually be. To trash Scubapro for not giving you some sweet deal on a new computer, when yours is old, out of production, and long out of warranty, is way out of line. To call it a "warning" about Scubapro service is actually ridiculous.

You say Scubapro "bricked" it but you are just guessing. Your guess that they somehow "zapped" it though the ir port seems pretty farfetched. You sent it in for what seemed (to you) to be a minor repair. They discovered a fault which prevented the computer from functioning properly and to specification. They could not repair it and refused to place a not-properly-functioning old, discontinued, out of warranty unit back in the hands of a diver. They also would not give you a sweet upgrade to a new one from your at-least-seven-year-old unit.

You are being a Scubapro apologist. Scubapro does not have the legal right to do that. Better policy would be for Scubapro to state what the problem with the computer is, recommend it not be dived and offer a discount on a new one with the trade. If the diver does not want to purchase a new unit then Scubapro should have them sign a release that they were advised the unit should not be used.

If I were the OP I would write Scubapro a letter expressing your feelings on their policy. I would also write the consumer product safety commission, the attorney general in the state your in and Scubapro's state, institute a small claims action and keep posting on Scubapro's forum and on Facebook.

I am not an "apologist" but if it gets me free stuff, sign me up!, just trying to bring some common sense to the issue.

This is very typical of ScubaPro. I had a BC with less than 50 dives on it that leaked. Took it back to the authorized dealer that I bought it from and they verified it leaked. The dealer sent it to ScubaPro and they said it did not leak! Just buy another one. Also, had one of their POS swivels on my second stage. It was recalled so when I took my S600 in for the ANNUAL required service, they took the swivel off and said too bad there is not a replacement or reimbursement. They just kept the swivel. And I had a battery die on my computer transmitter so the dealer sent in the under warranty transmitter with the computer to change the batteries. They sent back a different transmitter that neither I nor the dealer could pair with the computer. If you want reliable equipment, go to Atomic regulators, Oceanic computers, and any BC besides ScubaCrap.

Guy--I didn't say they zapped it. I said the IR port didn't work and when they tried it they found the same thing. THAT is probably why it failed their calibration: THEY COULDN'T GET IT TO WORK EITHER!

I sent it in fully prepared to pay for a repair if necessary or return it in the same condition upon which it was sent. To return it in the fashion upon which they did AND not offer any replacement option is what has me pretty steamed. Return it and recommend not using it: OK. Return it in original condition: OK. Return it unable to be used for any purpose besides a doorstop: ABSOLUTELY NOT! What I expected was to either have my unit returned (repaired or as sent in) or some type of dealer cost replacement if not. That is how the other scuba vendors which whom I have dealt have handled this type of issue over the years. As I said, I currently own approx. 20 Scubapro computers between my family but will be reconsidering that in the future.

Basically from my point of view, they destroyed it with utter disregard for the owner. I love their equipment but at times absolutely abhor their Draconian customer (NON)service policies! Scubapro (Johnson Wax) can be the hardest people with which to deal that I have ever met.

This is very typical of ScubaPro. I had a BC with less than 50 dives on it that leaked. Took it back to the authorized dealer that I bought it from and they verified it leaked. The dealer sent it to ScubaPro and they said it did not leak! Just buy another one. Also, had one of their POS swivels on my second stage. It was recalled so when I took my S600 in for the ANNUAL required service, they took the swivel off and said too bad there is not a replacement or reimbursement. They just kept the swivel. And I had a battery die on my computer transmitter so the dealer sent in the under warranty transmitter with the computer to change the batteries. They sent back a different transmitter that neither I nor the dealer could pair with the computer. If you want reliable equipment, go to Atomic regulators, Oceanic computers, and any BC besides ScubaCrap.

Did you ever communicate directly with Scubapro or did you only deal with Denver Divers? I am not a fan of Scubapro Inc, but this just sounds bizarre.

May be different in different countries or through different shops. I have had nothing but good experiences with Scubapro gear. They repaired a BC of mine that I bought second-hand and was between 5 and 10 years old. I made it clear to the shop I had bought it second-hand and did not have a receipt. Scubapro fixed it and paid freight both ways.

I am able to buy parts via the local shop and have had direct communication with Scubapro techs to determine the correct part numbers.With 6 BCs, 7 Mk25s and 15 s600 I have a bit of Scubapro gear, great thing is I have only needed one Scubapro repair and they did it under the lifetime warranty.

We tend to only hear the bad news stories on the internet. I am not saying they don't happen or that the service should not have been better, but there are also many good news stories.

What do you think the authority might be for them to do that? Do you think your car dealer might have that same authority? :shakehead:

What do testers do with tanks that fail hydro?

What do testers do with tanks that fail hydro?

DOT has no authority to confiscate condemned cylinders. The tester must provide the owner written notice of the condemnation.

"(3) No person may remove or obliterate the “CONDEMNED” marking. In addition, the requalifier must notify the cylinder owner, in writing, that the cylinder is condemned and may not be filled with hazardous material and offered for transportation in commerce where use of a specification packaging is required."

Full text:
[h=1]49 CFR 180.205[/h]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom