Scubapro buyers--Beware and be informed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been trying for 2 weeks to contact Scubapro via their web contact numbers since Jules told my dealer "that's just the way it is and is their policy". If I haven't heard from them by this Friday, it goes to my state's consumer and fraud divisions as well as my attorney. I really didn't want to make a big deal about this; just to either be contacted OR treated fairly.

What do testers do with tanks that fail hydro?

I recently had an AL80 condemned. They put XXXXXX across the serial number and original hydro, if I remember correctly. It is fairly obviously marked. But I took the tank home and I am just waiting to take it to the scrap yard.

A number of years ago I worked for a shop that sold ScubaPro, and the shop put one of their computer models in the consoles of all their rental regulator sets. One weekend I took a class for OW diving, and almost all of them had dead batteries. I had just bought the same model to use as a backup, and its battery died shortly after. The funny thing was that when we changed the battery at the shop, the old one still indicated that it had power. I replaced it anyway, and it failed again a few months later. I stopped working at that shop around that time, and I just stuck the computer in a drawer.

A couple years later, I decided to sell it to someone who could make use of it, so I took it to a different ScubaPro shop to get it going again. They told me that ScubaPro had determined that the model was defective and discontinued it. They had for a limited time offered a replacement model. I had duly registered the computer when I bought it, but I had never been notified, either by ScubaPro or the shop where I had bought it. The limited time for replacement was now over, so I had a non-functioning computer that had no value whatsoever. Even though ScubaPro had openly admitted that the design itself was defective and was the cause of the problem, they had no interest in doing anything about it. I tossed it in the waste basket, along with any metaphorical intent to use their products again.

I'll never buy a scubapro dive computer! Had my computer and it just stopped working. They just said "model discontinued" no guaranty.

In my home town there are 15 dive computer with the same problem and they don't give a f**ck.

I'll never buy a scubapro dive computer! Had my computer and it just stopped working. They just said "model discontinued" no guaranty.

In my home town there are 15 dive computer with the same problem and they don't give a f**ck.

Were any of those failed computers still within the one year Scubapro warranty period?

Been trying for 2 weeks to contact Scubapro via their web contact numbers since Jules told my dealer "that's just the way it is and is their policy". If I haven't heard from them by this Friday, it goes to my state's consumer and fraud divisions as well as my attorney. I really didn't want to make a big deal about this; just to either be contacted OR treated fairly.

Bummer, to hear of your experience. I wrote off SP/UWATEC years ago after their computer crap. I will not buy from any Johnson Outdoor company.

That said, at this point my suggestion is to call them [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif](619) 402-1023 and talk to their head of customer service. Their bricking of the computer is not responsible - that would be like Apple bricking my computer when the UBS port failed.
[/FONT]
If you are intent on filing complaints do it in CA as that is where SP resides. Filing them in TN will do little good.

does condemning a tank actually physically make it unuseable, like drilling hose or destroy neck thread?

No, when a cylinder is condemned the DOT markings are X'd out or stamped "CONDEMNED". That is per the CFR as referenced above.

To render a cylinder un-usable (unable to hold pressure) requires permission from the owner.

At this point what I would do is take to the local range, make sure you have a good back stop, and hit it with a .357, .44, 9mm, or high powered rifle a few times. Video the whole thing and give a complete narration of the "service" you have gotten from them. Then upload it to you tube, put it on your Facebook page, their Facebook page, and ask friends to make it go viral.

Back
Top Bottom