Scubapro Black Chrome Mk5 & 109.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EdEng

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share a Scubapro black chrome version of the Mk5 & 109, which I think was made for the Italian Navy or Army in the early 90s.

However, I made some customization to the set. The original is full black.

PicsArt_02-17-09.48.25.jpg

Customized the 109 with a touch of red.
PicsArt_02-17-10.04.41.jpg

DIY a color matching, red seat saver.

Please feel free to comment.

Ed.

Looks really cool, seat saver looks like candy. How did you make it?

Thanks for the kind word.
I used the red diffuser from my strobe light & attached a cut-out on it.

holy regulators, batman!!!!

hate (envy) you....

I don't mind that kinda hate, a healthy one nonetheless.

A most magnificent historical reg set and you've turned it into a toy

A most magnificent historical reg set and you've turned it into a toy

Hi Happy-diver,

Thank you for the comment. Yes, I do understand & have thought about the historical regs that I usually customized.

I've thought about them for a very long time before I even started to customized them. I am very aware that those regs are historical & that's one of the reason I like them. I purchased them, rebuild them & collect them, hoping to keep a part of the history & share with the younger generations. At the same time, I really like the older models much more than the newer ones.

There are reason why I customized & did so to some of the historical regs.

Firstly, the main reason for all the customization is to add a layer of protection to the historical/original units. Thus, preventing them from major cosmetic/structural damages & further maintaining the original looks. Example, with the inner ring (red), it actually makes the 2 pieces of lock rings tougher & preventing easy dent/bent, since there's no gap/hollow area.
PicsArt_11-21-03.27.40.jpg

An example - A rubberized protection on the outer rings & cover. Customized & sold these 2 to my younger generation students.

Secondly, I wanted those regs to have a different looks & colors instead of all just shiny chrome (except for this one, it's an original black chrome). Looking at the modern regs nowadays, am sure SP would have come out with different color variations back then, if their designers have thought of them.

Anyway, on this particular set, I've decided to put in a touch of red is because I'm not an Italian navy/army personnel. I'm just a recreational dive instructor & diving is my passion. I'm hoping by customizing certain historical regs, will create a sense of curiosity among the younger generations & interests them in wanting to know more about the historical part.

Lastly, I don't just collect them but I use them on my dives as well so I hope to minimize the chances of any damages. I spent a lot of effort getting them, rebuilding them & lots of time, carefully & delicately customizing them, not to mentioned the amount of money spent in doing all those things.

Anyway, those customized protections can be removed at any point of time without causing any cosmetic/structural damages to the original unit.

Aren't dive gears, diver's toys?

Anyway, thanks for the comment & no pun intended on my reply. Just sharing my personal opinion.

Is this one of yours

full.jpg

A business idea

full.jpg

anyhow got to go, need to put another coat of red on the house

Hog has red

Is this one of yours

View attachment 642772

A business idea

View attachment 642773

anyhow got to go, need to put another coat of red on the house

Hog has red

What I did, is totally different from what you posted. I guess not everyone knows how to differentiate things or even see the difference. Well... That's your opinion & I respect that. No point even arguing or debating with you, I have better things to do.

Guess, I'll just keep my customization to myself or people who knows how to appreciate them.

Looks like I won't be posting anymore ideas here, I rather go diving than wasting time explaining.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom