Scubapro Black Chrome Mk5 & 109.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a collector of vintage SP regs, but also of vintage offroad motorbikes. See here:
Fantic Motor Photo Gallery
Yamaha Photo Gallery

Customization is a big topic regarding motorbike. Some custom bikes are really masterpieces...
However most of the custom bikes you can see on the Internet are truly bad taste.

Said that, I like some of your custom SP vintage reg customizatiion, for example the last two you posted.
But the black navy unit, instead, is not so nice.
The choice of red over black is questionable, and the paint seems to having being applied not precisely.
I had much preferred the gold-over-black that I have seen done by Scubapro on a special series of G250. And if I remember correctly there was also a Mark X dual balanced..

See here the gold/black G250+MJ10
Scubapro Erogatore MK10 G250 Gold Edizione Limitata Oro | eBay

I am a collector of vintage SP regs, but also of vintage offroad motorbikes. See here:
Fantic Motor Photo Gallery
Yamaha Photo Gallery

Customization is a big topic regarding motorbike. Some custom bikes are really masterpieces...
However most of the custom bikes you can see on the Internet are truly bad taste.

Said that, I like some of your custom SP vintage reg customizatiion, for example the last two you posted.
But the black navy unit, instead, is not so nice.
The choice of red over black is questionable, and the paint seems to having being applied not precisely.
I had much preferred the gold-over-black that I have seen done by Scubapro on a special series of G250. And if I remember correctly there was also a Mark X dual balanced..

See here the gold/black G250+MJ10
Scubapro Erogatore MK10 G250 Gold Edizione Limitata Oro | eBay

Hi Angelo,

Thanks for the comment & opinion, I appreciate the honest comment.

Anyway, just wanted to clear some stuff.

As I said in my earlier posting, the last 2 customizations that I posted was for my younger generation students. The black & silver ring was for a guy to match his other black gears. The white & blue was for a gal, who likes white & blue, also to match her other gears.

As for the black & red is for myself to match my classic bcd. As you can see, below.
PicsArt_03-11-05.43.59.jpg

And also, no paint job was done on the 109 & that's the original black chrome. I basically just added the red ring & made the metal logo red.

Anyway, thanks again for the honest opinion & comment.

The black and silver one is still the best...
In that case, was it another Navy black unit, or did you apply a black coating over the chrome?
In the latter case, can you share info on the black coating?
My oldest 109+MK5 is currently in bad state, the chrome peeled off in some areas. I would like to convert it to a black unit, as yours...

The black and silver one is still the best...
In that case, was it another Navy black unit, or did you apply a black coating over the chrome?
In the latter case, can you share info on the black coating?
My oldest 109+MK5 is currently in bad state, the chrome peeled off in some areas. I would like to convert it to a black unit, as yours...

I don't use paint or coating on the regs, I use a special waterproof vinyl.

As per this posted set, it is an original black chrome. I did not paint or coated it. See attachment below, which I obtained from the net.
PicsArt_10-23-01.42.22.jpg

However, I did applied translucent black vinyl over couple of the chrome units before. It's not easy as it tends to wrinkles, due to the curves. It takes a lot of effort & time, so I only did 2.

Hope the info helps.

This is the main reason, I started doing all those customizations. Hoping to apply a layer of protection to the units.

I was evaluating a product like Plastidip, which gave me good results on some motorbikes:
Prodip Swiss - Original Plasti Dip, AutoFlex in Switzerland

I've tried it on a couple of other dive gears before, but it doesn't have a sustainable grip/attachment. It'll start to peel of after a number of dives. Not durable enough for long term.

I think it'll peeled off even faster on a chrome metal & especially after exposing to seawater so you might wanna save your money on that.

Hi Edvin
Don't worry about the negative comments.
Your customisations are really good and respectfull of the items.
Of course some may not like it but who cares as you have a good time doing that.
Please post more of your creations as I can hate you more :) :)

Hi Edvin
Don't worry about the negative comments.
Your customisations are really good and respectfull of the items.
Of course some may not like it but who cares as you have a good time doing that.
Please post more of your creations as I can hate you more :) :)
Agree.. I’ve enjoyed seeing your customization unique and creative. Some people never learned one of life's lessons, if you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all. Keep posting please.

I personally think those regs are beautiful. I understand the historical preservation concept but how many 109's are actually still floating around out there? I would wager enough to have some fun with a few.

If not for the weight of the 109's I would dive them every time. Now if I had one of those beauties, I would suck up the jaw fatigue (that came out very, very wrong) and breathe it proudly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom