The Yin & Yang Scubapro Perforated 156

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EdEng

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
The Scubapro Perforated 156 is definitely one of the coolest & unique looking 2nd stage, I've came across.

The design is very distinctive & different from the 109 & 156.

Anyway, got my hands on two of them & instead of keeping both, in their original look, I decided to customize one.

However, before I post a couple of pictures, I would like to clarify a few things to avoid any hard feelings.

I know & understand that some might not like what I did to the historical piece & some might like it. Well... I do welcome both, criticisms & kind comments.

Note: As much as I would like to share, but I won't be able to share, information or the process of how it was done, due to a couple reasons.
1. Is due, to handling & customizing the diaphragm cover, 1st stage & etc, which might caused damages if not done carefully.
2. Is due to trade secrets.
Therefore, I hope & ask for all your understanding, on the matter stated above. Thank you.

The Yin
PicsArt_03-11-10.27.32.jpg

Original

The Yang
PicsArt_03-11-10.42.32.jpg

Graphite customization

Ed.

Actually here at Scubapro Italy they made several tests of special finishes on their brass regs around 1985-1990.
They did work with a company specialized in surface treatments, which, if I remember correctly, was named Flametal.
I managed to see some of these prototypes. One did look like gold-plated.
One was black-matte, not the same as the Chrome-Black being supplied to the Italian Navy, which instead was more shining.
And one was definitely some sort of graphite (dark grey).
So what you did is fully meaningful, and quite nice.
However all the regs I did see with these special coatings were MK5+109, so no perforated front plate.
I think these units with perforated front plate were originally manufactured in Japan under license from Scubapro.

Did the perforations get filled in by the graphite?

How about offering your services for people that may want customization?
@Open Ocean Diver, I had quite a few, asking me that same question & some wanted to buy the ones I did but it's quite difficult since I'm in Malaysia, shipping will be kinda costly for both ways.
At the same time, the customization works take quite some time & since I'm a full time dive instructor, I can only do one at a time. I'm ocd, so it borders me if they're not done nicely.
Currently, I have some time in hand due to the covid but don't think I'll have much time to do that many, once the authorities allow us to travel.

Actually here at Scubapro Italy they made several tests of special finishes on their brass regs around 1985-1990.
They did work with a company specialized in surface treatments, which, if I remember correctly, was named Flametal.
I managed to see some of these prototypes. One did look like gold-plated.
One was black-matte, not the same as the Chrome-Black being supplied to the Italian Navy, which instead was more shining.
And one was definitely some sort of graphite (dark grey).
So what you did is fully meaningful, and quite nice.
However all the regs I did see with these special coatings were MK5+109, so no perforated front plate.
I think these units with perforated front plate were originally manufactured in Japan under license from Scubapro.

That's nice, always thought it would be nice to have different colors or treatments, like the modern models nowadays.

Yes, the perforated one was available & sold in Asia Pacific region only, from 1998-2000. They're pretty hard to find & not many seen on the net.

So far, the one I saw is from @couv

Did the perforations get filled in by the graphite?

Nope. I customized & changed the diaphragm cover to silver color (sorry can't share how I did it though, as it might cause damage to it so am not suggesting others try doing it).

Correct me if I'm wrong. Have you modified only the rubber diaphragm cover? That is to say the metal perforated cover has not been modified. Or are my old eyes missing something? Perhaps removing the covers and taking pictures would give us a better idea of what you've done.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Have you modified only the rubber diaphragm cover? That is to say the metal perforated cover has not been modified. Or are my old eyes missing something? Perhaps removing the covers and taking pictures would give us a better idea of what you've done.

Pretty much almost everything have been modified from the 1st stage to the purge metal plate, except the internal parts.
Diaphragm is silver & the rest is graphite.

The only thing I did on the original one is the purge metal plate, changed it to satin to match the unit, instead of the original shiny chrome. Obvious ocd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom