ScubaBoard Censorship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I submit that there is good reason to question the mods about their methods.

You can question anything you want. The mods are under no obligation to answer, and if you're unhappy with the way the place is run, you have two choices, continue to post, or leave.

Maybe you are fine assuming that they know what's best for you, the rest of us aren't and will continue to fight to make sure that board users (you included) are treated like adults.

Speak for yourself fstbttms. I don't like it when someone says "all of us" or "everyone else" or "the rest of us".

I'm not worried about being treated like an adult. More often than not I don't even act like one.

You can question anything you want. The mods are under no obligation to answer, and if you're unhappy with the way the place is run, you have two choices, continue to post, or leave.
Or 3) They CAN complain about it. We read every complaint. We try to make ScubaBoard an inviting place for you to come and talk about your diving experiences and that takes reading a lot of feedback and trying to do what's best for the entire community. This is precisely how we got so stinking big while other forums languished. Even during the dark years when we had more people coming to us than our infrastructure could support we grew. We had a lot going against us and we still do, but it's our open door policy for complaints which have made us as successful as we are.
I'm not worried about being treated like an adult. More often than not I don't even act like one.
I'm sorry Doc, but we're gonna have to agree to agree on this one. :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

I was referring to the Mods as a group. While you own the site, there are others also responsible for controlling content who do not.
Like I said: "No worries". I kinda figured that out in your post #28.

Or 3) They CAN complain about it. We read every complaint. We try to make ScubaBoard an inviting place for you to come and talk about your diving experiences and that takes reading a lot of feedback and trying to do what's best for the entire community. This is precisely how we got so stinking big while other forums languished.

I might have added that the moderators on this board are quite responsive to member concerns and requests, more so than many if not all other boards I have posted on in the past few years.

That sort of approach will build a membership base, and do much towards ensuring the success of an internet discussion board, but my point is that doing so is not some sort of requirement or obligation.

Experienced forum users like me understand the realities of the forum community. I would assume that as an experienced mod, you would understand that you are a target for criticism.

Nice attitude. :shakehead:

IMHO some changes in the TOS are needed and I'd point to the Classified and Manufacturers sections.

In the classifieds, I'm tired of seeing people trying to get top dollar for used gear. I feel that we should allow people to comment stating what the new selling price is, warranty issues and what would be a fair trade price for fellow Sbers. Let the sellers pay and take their chances on Ebay if they don't like what their peers have to say. This would protect fellow SB users and promote a community that takes care of each other.

In the Manufacturers sections what I've noticed is some manufacturers reps seem a lot smarter than others. I see them as those that just ignore and let negative comments pass and/or do what they can to promote a change of oppinion with a response of personal customer support. Mostly I've found these manufacturers to not be actively trying to sell within the SB forums.
The others I've taken notice of actively attempt to sell within their forums discussing everything but price. The reps are active participants on the forum and very helpful in general.
The down side of this is that some take it as a personal attack if you have any criticism of how they do something or of their products. This has lead to the need for moderation and because of how the TOS for that section is set up an unbalanced representation of the products and service from that manufacturer.

It is my opinion that the present TOS for that section is far to protective of the manufacturer and not protective of the general SB user.What's needed is a TOS that allows enough discussion to assure the SB users ability to gauge the true qualities of that manufacturer.

Experienced forum users like me understand the realities of the forum community. I would assume that as an experienced mod, you would understand that you are a target for criticism.

Nice attitude. :shakehead:

Of course I understand that. Members have a right to complain, to question, about whatever they want. Moderators, usually volunteers, are not obligated to meet your every need to your full satisfaction, however, as Netdoc said, it is ultimately in the best interests of the board to meet the reasonable (and maybe some unreasonable) requests of the membership.

I would assume that as an experienced mod...

I am not a moderator of ScubaBoard, however I do moderate another board, but you wouldn't know that... not sure what that part of your post was about. My user ID is in red because I am a "supporting member" (I pay a yearly fee which is voluntary).

Fin molds cost a crap load of $$$$$$$, and Force Fins are not super high volume. Plus he does and has spent a fortune on development.

I don't feel they are too expensive at all.

If you're a sponsor, that just means you're paying us to abuse you. :D

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

I don't remember seeing THAT in the 'reasons to go red' list!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom