Scuba...the "rich man's" sport

What's a Scuba diver's approx. HOUSEHOLD income per year??

• Under $25,000 annual pay

Votes: 30 8.6%
  • $25,001 to $75,000

Votes: 120 34.4%
  • $75,001 to $125,000

Votes: 119 34.1%
  • $125,001 to $175,000

Votes: 39 11.2%
  • Over $175,000

Votes: 41 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you forgot to think about those who work in the profession of scuba.... so there needs to be a "less than your neighbourhood paper boy" option in your list....

It's a poor man's sport from where I sit... because it's putting me in the poorhouse!

Income? I didn't know real divers actually earned one! Heck, I'm just a dive bum who gets his air and boat trips for free. No idea who actually pays my mortgage (it is being paid, right?).

Diving is a rich man's sport? No way, At least when you compare it to sailboat racing it's not a rich man's sport. I've saved a ton of money by selling my boat A dry suit is a trivial expense compared to replacing a sail

Actually you can dive on any budget you want. If you shop around you can get into a ful set of gear for just under $1,000 and after that beach dives are just an air fill and maybe parking change. Others can spend $5k on equipment and fly to exotic places to dive

I disagree SCUBA is rich man sport.....I'm poor.....finish mine money in diving...buy dive equipments consider and reconsider....

Scuba is not a rich mans sport or I would not be doing it. Skiing is a rich mans sport as is wakeboarding. 50k boat and gas. How much is an hour of diving pleasure? $5.00 for an air fill. $10.00 gas to get to location.

Like any other "extreme sport", scuba diving is only as expensive as you let it become. The initial equipment purchase is what intimidates most people, but if you're going to dive more than the once-a-year vacationer then your equipment will eventually pay for itself if you keep it in good condition and serviced properly.

Try skydiving and see just how expensive it gets. The initial equipment purchase there will simply scare you to death! In some cases, you have to meet the USPA class "A" license requirements before a DZ will sell you equipment, that's roughly 20 skydives at $50-$100 per dive! Then you have to locate a Drop Zone (DZ) that has a pilot and aircraft that is insured to allow you to skydive. Dives can be cheap once you have your own gear, but that's how it is in almost every sport.

So for skydiving:
Dives for license: (high side on 20 dives) $2000
Initial Equip purch: (new gear) $3000-$6000
Gear set up: (initial) $50-$200, then reserve pack annually $100
Total to get you out on your own (w/o aircraft rental): $5000-$8000

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom