Scuba...the "rich man's" sport

What's a Scuba diver's approx. HOUSEHOLD income per year??

• Under $25,000 annual pay

Votes: 30 8.6%
  • $25,001 to $75,000

Votes: 120 34.4%
  • $75,001 to $125,000

Votes: 119 34.1%
  • $125,001 to $175,000

Votes: 39 11.2%
  • Over $175,000

Votes: 41 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
There have been a number of threads and posts about age of divers, type of equipment and training. What about not only age, however, but economical status?? This HAS to play a huge factor concerning those who dive. So, as delicately as possible, what's your household income (yes, you can spend your SPOUSE'S income on scuba, too :D ) I'll try to make these broad enough to include most without offending many--I hope! AND, your vote answers WILL NOT BE PUBLIC!

You don't want to go there...

TheRedHead:
You don't want to go there...

Maybe not....ooppps, sorry, already did.:no

I wouldn't say scuba is a 'rich' man's sport. Yes, it is expensive to get set-up in the sport (my mum keeps telling me to play chess instead!), but once you are setup, if you have shore dives close by, they don't cost you anything other than an airfill and petrol. And if you can resist the temptation to be constantly upgrading, whether it be new gear or photo gear then it's ok too. I guess you could also include holidays, but I would have a holiday no matter what, it's just that mine are diving holidays so I don't count it.

In terms of income, I am single, no children and have a full-time professional job. My profession (allied health) doesn't earn a lot of money, especially in the public sector, but because of the other factors (no kids, single etc) I generally have a bit of disposable income which is spent on diving rather than other things (like saving for a house deposit as my dad keeps trying to remind me!).

When I took up diving I was told that I'd always be broke...either saving for new dive equipment or dive holidays and I guess they were right.
mel.b

and that's part of the fun, huh??

When I took up diving I was a student. 2nd hand reg, tank, spg, depth guage, knife, BC, and fins, new mask, wetsuit, hood and booties. Was a bit of a stretch, but not too serious a hit on the budget. Did shore dives, took the course through the University.

Was not rich, but had no problem diving.

Now, I have new everything and can afford to dive when and where I want to. Does not make it a rich man's sport. money helps, but is not a requirement to dive.

There's a very steep initial cost to get into the sport. I figured I spent around $3,000 to get my basic OW cert, as well as all my equipment (well, everything but a tank anyways). The upside is, I'll have my OW cert forever, and most of my gear if properly cared for should last a very long time.

Where it get's expensive is when you get hooked on it and what you have isn't enough because then you want more training, a dry suit, etc... :11doh:

Fresh out of college I'm nowhere near rich... but like Rainer already said...

Darnold9999:
When I took up diving I was a student. 2nd hand reg, tank, spg, depth guage, knife, BC, and fins, new mask, wetsuit, hood and booties. Was a bit of a stretch, but not too serious a hit on the budget. Did shore dives, took the course through the University.

Was not rich, but had no problem diving.

Now, I have new everything and can afford to dive when and where I want to. Does not make it a rich man's sport. money helps, but is not a requirement to dive.
What he said. Location also plays a major factor in the financial requirements of course.

The sport is what you make of it. The ignorant outsider can look in and say "rich man's sport" (no offense k4man, i'm not directing this at you). When, in fact things can be affordable and DOWNRIGHT enjoyable. I agree, the initial price is steep. After that it is smooth sailing (minus upgrades).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom