Scuba...the "rich man's" sport

What's a Scuba diver's approx. HOUSEHOLD income per year??

• Under $25,000 annual pay

Votes: 30 8.6%
  • $25,001 to $75,000

Votes: 120 34.4%
  • $75,001 to $125,000

Votes: 119 34.1%
  • $125,001 to $175,000

Votes: 39 11.2%
  • Over $175,000

Votes: 41 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4man:
There have been a number of threads and posts about age of divers, type of equipment and training. What about not only age, however, but economical status?? This HAS to play a huge factor concerning those who dive. So, as delicately as possible, what's your household income (yes, you can spend your SPOUSE'S income on scuba, too :D ) I'll try to make these broad enough to include most without offending many--I hope! AND, your vote answers WILL NOT BE PUBLIC!

I think the real question is how much do you make for where you live...

For example here in The San Francisco area a family of 4 making 75k is damn near living in poverty, but a family of 4 living in ohio is doing quite well making 75k. (not sure if i am accurate but thats what i hear)

So with the cost of gear being similar where ever you go the cost of living for your neck of the woods decides wheather you are a "Rich Man" or not.

RICHinNC:
One of the scuba rags did an article on the "average" scuba diver's profile.

Three things stood out in my mind....
One....the average scuba diver makes well into 6 figures
Two...the average scuba diver takes at least 4 dive vacations a year (to exotic places_
Three...I am old....I cant remember the third one....but it was about as wild as the first two.

I guess I will slog on being ''sub-average''

Yeah, guess I'd be sub-average, too. In fact, I've NEVER taken a "dive" vacation. I go diving wherever, whenever, but have never gone on a dive-only vacation.

PLUS, I have four kids, ranging from 17 to 11...no matter how much money I make, I will always be tapped...

On second thought, if my income was "well" into the six figures, I might be taking those dive vacations! :wink:

I dive all the year around mostly from the shore. Sorry I don't really know what the $ exchange is these days, I can only quote you in £UK. I've got all my own dive gear, most was bought borrowed and bartered for, a bit at a time. Much of it was 2nd hand, thats not to say it wouldn't cost £2000+ to replace new. Most of the dive gear I started out with, was economy level. However when you spend around £150 2 or 3 times a year, in 7 or 8 years you eventually end up with double the kit, that you need. I've bought some things that don't work out, but we all take that risk with every product. I guess I spend around £30, on a day out going diving. I go out once a week most weeks, I don't have a night out, those who do, probably spend as much or more, so I guess it balances out.

i think you can spend as little or as much as you want, you dont have to buy top of the line gear right off the bat. ther are many lds who offer great packages for begginer divers, sure the gear is basic, but so is the diver. you can always add the pricey toys such as cameras, computers later these are not necessary to get started and as far as actually diving, sure going out on a cattle boat can add up but you can always beach dive and at most spend $10 to rent a tank and a few dollars to park.
personally i find beach diving more fun with less hassles

Perhaps an interesting poll would be to see how much money divers spend on SCUBA diving each year vs their income. I would be suprised if it was the same percentage between the wealthier and poorer divers.

engdiver:
Perhaps an interesting poll would be to see how much money divers spend on SCUBA diving each year vs their income. I would be suprised if it was the same percentage between the wealthier and poorer divers.
Somewhere between 20% - 25% on average ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Let me put it in perspective.

There are many people on earth that do not even have enough to feed themselves or their families...........

It is a 'rich mans' sport whatever we think, say or believe. Compared to many, we are lucky enough to have time and money to pursue our sport and passion.

...and paid for my first gear set with money I made ... baling hay.
Hey that's how I paid for my first set of gear, cost $125 for a tank & reg from the Sears & Roebuck catalog. Total setup was well under $250.
... Try skydiving and see just how expensive it gets. ...
Airplane rides used to cost a buck per thousand feet. Bad thing is that, unlike diving, skydiving for $$ wasn't much of an option. Demos consisted of a free jump & free beer - if they served any wherever it was you jumped into.
I still use some of my very first dive gear, not so with the old Russian UT-15. :wink:
C-14885
no_bs_tiny.jpg

Back
Top Bottom