Scuba Sciences Regulator Repair Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba:
Im still baffled at this whole thing:confused: .....This is why the question about great LDS's comes up so often.....please just apologize and/or stop posting and making things worse:sos:

Appears to me they have no intention of doing the right (and smart) thing. But they do appear to have stopped posting. Probably too late though as their contributions are rather revealing. At this point I expect this thread is just going to remain as a detractor to their business that will bump up periodically here on SB.

ElGuano:
The only problem with the shop is this truly unfathomable and dogmatic adherence to a "no refund" policy
No, that's not the only problem. In fact, that's not even the main problem.
The main problem is that they will not modify their maintenance protocols and procedures to assure no repeats, but rather insist that these mistakes are so rare that they should be expected and accepted.
And that is insane.

At this point it really is beyond the refund. While I would still like one, it appears that will not happen. Shortly before this thread was locked I received my last message from a Scuba Sciences employee. Basically, I was told that they had exhausted our communication lines and they had made every effort to resolve the issue. While I do agree that they made an effort (not every effort), I cannot bring myself to go back to their shop again.

But more importantly, they still don't believe anything in their shop needs to change. I was told that they "may never know what happened" to my regulator. They also said that everything was working correctly when the technician completed the service. If the hose was loose, "it would have made a substantial noise at not only the time he tested it, but when tested it as well."

I predict that you'll have a chance to shop at their "going out of business" sale.

Thalassamania:
I predict that you'll have a chance to shop at their "going out of business" sale.
Unfortunately, I have to disagree, although in my heart I hope you're right.

In my business here in Phoenix, the biggest is also the worst, very similar to this situation. But, he's so big, and so aggressive, and so unethical, that he just keeps getting new victims. I suspect this will be the case here.
When a newbie sees a potentially dangerous sport, and hears nonsense like "we train you for 58 hours, and we do a lake snorkel, and a bathtub rescue, blah blah blah" they don't realize it isn't more safe. They think it's better, which it isn't.

When I've introduced new divers, they are always wanting to buy stuff, and they don't know what they're doing. Ergo, the perfect victim. Mask, fins, snorkel, yes, then wetsuit, ad infinitum. If you go into a certain store, they have no qualms setting up a non-certified diver with three grand worth of gear. thus, their gross per student goes through the roof, perpetuating their existence.
However, the experienced divers don't spend a lot of money, so they really aren't seriously interested in doing the right thing by us - we all have our own gear, don't spend near as much any more as a newbie, and thus aren't worth their time, except to recruit divemasters, instructors, etc. which they seem to have plenty of. Plus, we see through the "internet is bad" argument and are informed, price-conscious shoppers. The margin goes down. They just aren't as interested in experienced, informed divers as they are ignorant, innocent newbies.
Wade through all related posts and see how many people got certified somewhere else and then became a regular at that shop. It doesn't happen very often. The other way, quite often.
The one thing I appreciate about the industry is that the vast majority of people, even business owners, attempt to cultivate newbies, not take advantage of them. It's truly remarkable. While they're in busienss to make money, rarely do I see someone in the industry take advantage of new divers. Except for one, apparently, and while experienced divers have resources to check things out, unfortunately the new ones get there, then get taken. Add to the mix the apparent fanaticism of their employees, and you've got a situation I won't ever get involved with. I doubt many people with experience at more than one shop will, either.
In investigating a business, for anything, the first questions you should ask is, "where does the money come from?" In this case, it's new divers.

Karma will out.

Searching Google for "Scuba Sciences" now returns a link to this thread at NUMBER FIVE. "Scuba Sciences Inc" is at 19. Still don't want to get this cleared up?

Rainer:
Searching Google for "Scuba Sciences" now returns a link to this thread at NUMBER FIVE. "Scuba Sciences Inc" is at 19. Still don't want to get this cleared up?
Karma ... Google, six of one, half dozen of the other.:D

cjust:
... If the hose was loose, "it would have made a substantial noise at not only the time he tested it, but when tested it as well."
That statement is flatly false. Total unmitigated BS! Many (though the practice is losing favor) in the tech community do the "finger tight" thing with their second stages. They make no noise, they don't leak. Because the seal is an o-ring in a sleeve, they can in fact be loosened a full turn or two off the stop before the first bubble ever appears to indicate the second stage isn't torqued to spec.
Pure, total, complete, inexcusable BS and they know it!
This has now gone beyond defense into dishonesty. Deplorable!
Rick

Rick Murchison:
That statement is flatly false. Total unmitigated BS! Many (though the practice is losing favor) in the tech community do the "finger tight" thing with their second stages. They make no noise, they don't leak. Because the seal is an o-ring in a sleeve, they can in fact be loosened a full turn or two off the stop before the first bubble ever appears to indicate the second stage isn't torqued to spec.
Pure, total, complete, inexcusable BS and they know it!
This has now gone beyond defense into dishonesty. Deplorable!
Rick
Rick's got that right. Lies followed by lies followed by more lies.

Back
Top Bottom