Scuba Sciences Regulator Repair Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjust:
Basically, I was told that they had exhausted our communication lines and they had made every effort to resolve the issue.

I don't think they ever tried to take ownership of the problem and to try to do what was right for the customer. Even if it was the customers fault (which is appears not the case here), then they should have helped him resove it.

The only effort I saw them make was excuses.

This one issue tarnished and more how it was handled has now really tarnished their image.

Scuba Sciences will be explaining or making excuses for this thread to customers for years to come. You don't get nearly 300 posts (and over 10K views) and get to forget about it. Google search results for Scuba Sciences will include hits to this thread, as will searches on Scuba Board. While there will always be new walk-ins, those people who actually research a business before engaging services will see this thread and may think twice. Scuba Sciences made their decision, and they will have to live with it.

Rick Murchison:
That statement is flatly false. Total unmitigated BS! Many (though the practice is losing favor) in the tech community do the "finger tight" thing with their second stages. They make no noise, they don't leak. Because the seal is an o-ring in a sleeve, they can in fact be loosened a full turn or two off the stop before the first bubble ever appears to indicate the second stage isn't torqued to spec.
Pure, total, complete, inexcusable BS and they know it!
This has now gone beyond defense into dishonesty. Deplorable!
Rick

I really don't think it is just dishonesty. Such dishonesty needs to have a chance to be believed and their claim is, as we know, not credible. In this case I really believe it is blissful ignorance supported by their arrogance which keeps them from even examining the possibility that they could be wrong and others could be right. This operation is dangerous.

If Scuba Sciences really wanted to put this behind them, they'd offer one free regulator overhaul for everyone on ScubaBoard provided each member posted a report about how well his/her reg performed after the service work.

I've seen a charter operator do that here and it's paying off in spades for them. :)

deepstops:
If Scuba Sciences really wanted to put this behind them, they'd offer one free regulator overhaul for everyone on ScubaBoard provided each member posted a report about how well his/her reg performed after the service work.

I've seen a charter operator do that here and it's paying off in spades for them. :)

I doubt if there would be many takers.

But there are other ways for them to put this incident behind them. The simplest and most cost effective would be to give the customer what he asked for. It's not their error as much as their handling of it that is keeping the wind in the sails of this thread.

deepstops:

Why would I trust my regulator to Scuba Sciences? So far they have shown absolutely no evidence of knowing how to service a regulator or how to properly service a customer! Scuba Sciences will service my regulator when they pry it from my cold, dead lips. As it stands, I'll be taking an equipment service class and buying some books on equipment servicing so that I don't go through this situation down the road. Scuba Sciences can service someone elses regulator (maybe one of the sock puppets will volunteer their reg)....

deepstops:

I've seen a charter operator do that here and it's paying off in spades for them. :)[/QUOTEIn another thread, I jokingly suggested they do that. Not surprisingly, after four or five posts trying to draw someone out, in which no one replied, I was flamed, at first by a righteous poster and then by one of their divecons. I believe the quote was "Dude, give it a rest. No one's taking the bait."
They are simply not interested - all their toadies are laughing at us, the sock puppets are alive and well, and one guy (I feel strongly enough about it to make this statement) is pretending to be basically functionally illiterate.
Anyone with one eye and half a brain knows what kind of shop they are.

Thalassamania:
Rick's got that right. Lies followed by lies followed by more lies.

I second this. I was testing the IP on some first stages and was adding regs and inflator hoses to pug the ports. If you turn the hose so the o-rings make contact there is no noise at all.

The OP should file a claim with the better business bureau, give them as much bad publicity as possible.

undefined:
Why would I trust my regulator to Scuba Sciences? So far they have shown absolutely no evidence of knowing how to service a regulator or how to properly service a customer!

It was kind of tongue-in-cheek, I service most of my own regs (and what I can't or don't want to service, I send off to Alabama to the only shop I trust).

divebri:
Unfortunately, I have to disagree, although in my heart I hope you're right.

In my business here in Phoenix, the biggest is also the worst, very similar to this situation. But, he's so big, and so aggressive, and so unethical, that he just keeps getting new victims. I suspect this will be the case here.

I was certified in the early 90's at one of the biggest scuba stores in Orlando. In fact they had multiple locations throughout Florida. They were big on marketing, even had radio ads. Once you signed up you got the hard sell. If you went in and wanted to buy something on special they would try to talk you out of it. A Conshelf 21 is junk, the $1.00 defog will burn your eyes you need the $8.00 stuff, etc. In a time the word got out (after all most new divers know someone that dives) and they disappeared. I walked into another dive shop and there was the guy that certified me, I said hello and walked out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom