SCUBA regulator to E-tank medical O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skol56

New
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thanks in advance.
I'm a physician and surgeon looking for adapter to allow me to connect my regulator to a medical O2 tank.

I plan on using it to dive to a depth of 30 ft (in a 15 mile radius of my house there are more than 12 fresh water springs that meet that criteria), and sit on the bottom for 30 minutes, twice a week.

During my training in my specialty we used hyperbaric O2 to lower intra-cranial pressure in head injuries....and it worked! That is, it worked until you took them out of the hyperbaric chamber, and then the ICP shot back up to abnormal levels.

That's not why I'm using it in this case.

I'm getting the feeling I'll need to make one myself on the lathe: brass "coin" about 4mm thick, 3-4mm male protrusion for the female O2 valve receptacle, and female recess (O-ring) for the SCUBA regulator.

I'm a little surprised no one is manufacturing these.

I'm quite aware of the risks with pure O2 (and firearms, and alcohol, and motorcycles, etc)....they kind of pale in comparison in the types of risks that are seen for surgery in my specialty. I trust myself to use it responsibly.

This one let's you use a scuba reg on a medical O2 bottle

This one let's you use a medical O2 regulator on a scuba bottle

Thanks in advance.
I'm a physician and surgeon looking for adapter to allow me to connect my regulator to a medical O2 tank.

I plan on using it to dive to a depth of 30 ft (in a 15 mile radius of my house there are more than 12 fresh water springs that meet that criteria), and sit on the bottom for 30 minutes, twice a week.

During my training in my specialty we used hyperbaric O2 to lower intra-cranial pressure in head injuries....and it worked! That is, it worked until you took them out of the hyperbaric chamber, and then the ICP shot back up to abnormal levels.

I'm getting the feeling I'll need to make one myself on the lathe: brass "coin" about 4mm thick, 3-4mm male protrusion for the female O2 valve receptacle, and female recess (O-ring) for the SCUBA regulator.

I'm quite aware of the risks with pure O2 (and firearms, and alcohol, and motorcycles, etc)....they kind of pale in comparison in the types of risks that are seen for surgery in my specialty. I trust myself to use it responsibly.
30’ is beyond the max depth of breathing oxygen when submerged, and also exceeds the NOAA oxygen exposure limits. Even the exceptional exposure tables list 30’ for 30 mins as the max.

Thanks in advance.

I’m confused. Are you using 100% O2 for therapeutic reasons? If so could you elaborate? If you’re looking for fun hanging out in 30’ of water why not enrich a tank to 40% which will give you
Thanks in advance.

I’m confused. With 36% enriched air you can hang out at 30’ for 200 minutes NDL. Are you wanting to burn 100% O2 for therapeutic reasons?

If your planning on diving to 30 feet on oxygen, be sure you have your Advanced Directives filled out and documented.

Soo, if you are going to use the oxygen for medical reasons, alone(?) At 30 feet, may I suggest getting a larger cylinder (Ie an AL80) and a full face mask? At least then you have a fighting chance if you develop convulsions or pass out

Thank you for the replies.
I should mention I worked for the Dept of Defense too, so I've some exposure to actual data taken from divers since the 40's. Sixty feet is considered the actual depth threshold where oxygen toxicity is encountered on a greater than 50% chance in any given subject (and there are still unknown variables why one person is more susceptible than someone else).
The recommendations you've described above (including NOAA) are "best practices" estimates based on preventing toxicity in 95% of divers.
I had a dive partner who died from O2 toxicity (I wasn't with him at the time) so please don't think I don't believe it's real.
There's all kinds of neurophysiologic changes in hyperbaric O2 treatment, including a reduction in seizure threshold and excitability of neurons.
Hyperbaric O2 therapy in patients is often up to 3 ATA for 20-30 minutes. These are standard treatments for defined conditions; there's no winging it.
I appreciate your concern; don't know that I appreciate your theories about hyperbaric O2 therapy.

Back to mechanical things: the DIN to CGA-870 is the closest adapter I've yet found (I have 2). If I'm forced to I'll use them connected into an old Dacor H-valve. There's a simpler solution that I've seen fabricated that simply allows a regulator (SCUBA) to attach to the O2 valve by fitting onto the outlet and letting the regulator tighten against the backside, which looks exactly like a K-valve exhaust. Someone I knew from not-the-navy special operations always carried one with his kit.

If I end up fabricating one myself I'll post some pictures. They are pretty simple.

Back
Top Bottom