Nationwide O2 shortages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spchampion

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I don't own a compressor, so I'm asking this more out of idle curiosity.

Given the nationwide shortages of liquid oxygen because of covid, I'm wondering if there's a role for dive shops and compressor owners who can produce nitrox? From what I understand, most medical O2 is produced with fractional distillation and then blended (possibly in the nasal cannula). However, big O2 production companies are overwhelmed and can't produce enough to meet demand.

But nitrox production can rely on membranes without needing a pure source. From my own research, it seems these will generate up to about 44%.

Is that useful outside of diving? Is there a role the scuba community can play to help people who need mixed O2 who otherwise would have to go without? Of course the delivery, regulators, and other aspects are different, but drastic times may call for drastic measures.

Apologies if the question is crazy or based on incorrect assumptions. If I'm off base, happy to know where.

not high enough to be useful unfortunately and inefficient to ship which is why they ship lOx. There are other methods of producing low pressure O2 via pressure swing adsorption which is what at-home oxygen concentrators use for technology and how O2 is made in remote locations.

There is no "blending" per se with medical oxygen at least before the body is concerned. A nasal cannula for example is only capable of up to about 50% fiO2 based on how much O2 is flowing vs how much is being inspired around the cannula itself. If nitrox was to be used, it would have to be on a demand valve to prevent dilution and that would prove complicated for long term use.

Right idea, but a rather complicated situation.

Wow... just called my supplier to check to get some fills ... everything is up to stupid prices again!!!

They’re checking if my quote from a few weeks ago is still viable... hopefully so, as it is almost 1/2 the cost for a few T’s of He and a T of O2....

_R

Wow... just called my supplier to check to get some fills ... everything is up to stupid prices again!!!

They’re checking if my quote from a few weeks ago is still viable... hopefully so, as it is almost 1/2 the cost for a few T’s of He and a T of O2....

_R

My costs are up 21% on oxygen and 25% on helium this year from last in Detroit.
It isn't massive, but it is substantial.

My last O2 was up 25% as well. Was $40, now $50. I am not even going to look at Helium prices. Hopefully that untapped T will last me until prices get to normal again.

When the SHTF in March '20 I rushed to put together an E-sized O2 kit from a fortunate CL find.

I also had a couple of HP120s that happened to be coming out of rehab. I had them filled with nitrox - they came out a little rich for my card at 50% due to an unfortunate PPB "error" - whoops. :wink:

With talk of critical ventilator shortages, overflowing hospitals, etc. in the early days and multiple elderly/imunocompromised relatives, I figured that a pile of 50% and some 100% might literally make the difference. It was/is unlikely to hurt in the case of poor blood oxygenation.

40-50% >> 21% IMO

My costs are up 21% on oxygen and 25% on helium this year from last in Detroit.
It isn't massive, but it is substantial.

Was $430 for helium, and today when I called to confirm pickup... it is around the $750 mark per T.

When we got talking about O2... he just said, let us talk it over and see if we can get it closer to your previously quoted price from a few weeks ago...

_R

Just swapped out 3 250s of aviators (leased from gas plant) $51 ea + $30 hazmat/delivery charge. A couple years ago I think we were paying $46/bottle. Helium earlier this year was $1/cu.ft for 99.998%.

Was $430 for helium, and today when I called to confirm pickup... it is around the $750 mark per T.

When we got talking about O2... he just said, let us talk it over and see if we can get it closer to your previously quoted price from a few weeks ago...

_R

Got back from the supplier... luckily it wasn’t as doom and gloom as they were talking about on the phone...

Only an extra $200 total to the usual bill for a few T’s of He and a T of O2..... it was sounding more like $1300 more over the phone...

_R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom