SCUBA regulator to E-tank medical O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should mention I worked for the Dept of Defense too, so I've some exposure to actual data taken from divers since the 40's. Sixty feet is considered the actual depth threshold where oxygen toxicity is encountered on a greater than 50% chance in any given subject (and there are still unknown variables why one person is more susceptible than someone else).
The recommendations you've described above (including NOAA) are "best practices" estimates based on preventing toxicity in 95% of divers.
I had a dive partner who died from O2 toxicity (I wasn't with him at the time) so please don't think I don't believe it's real.
There's all kinds of neurophysiologic changes in hyperbaric O2 treatment, including a reduction in seizure threshold and excitability of neurons.
Hyperbaric O2 therapy in patients is often up to 3 ATA for 20-30 minutes. These are standard treatments for defined conditions; there's no winging it.
I appreciate your concern; don't know that I appreciate your theories about hyperbaric O2 therapy.
You might want to do a bit more research, and not assume you know it all. The 60 ft and 50% chance of O2 toxicity, and the 3ATA hyperbaric O2 therapy, are for DRY subjects. You are proposing to be WET, and the limits are much lower.

You might want to do a bit more research, and not assume you know it all. The 60 ft and 50% chance of O2 toxicity, and the 3ATA hyperbaric O2 therapy, are for DRY subjects. You are proposing to be WET, and the limits are much lower.
Mmm. You seem to be assuming more than I am. Intriguing.
You should publish your data since there's nothing in the literature to back it up. The world of diving physiology will be a better place once we have your research in the pantheon.
Wet or dry has to do with tending to a patient/diver rather than a change in neuronal activity or gas permiability (unless of course the studies you've conducted and recorded data on contradict that...we want that data!).

Mmm. You seem to be assuming more than I am. Intriguing.
You should publish your data since there's nothing in the literature to back it up. The world of diving physiology will be a better place once we have your research in the pantheon.
Wet or dry has to do with tending to a patient/diver rather than a change in neuronal activity or gas permiability (unless of course the studies you've conducted and recorded data on contradict that...we want that data!).
Note that the table in the first link no longer exists in the current version of the USN Dive Manual.
I am assuming nothing; I am just providing published information. However, I am not going to try and be your research librarian on your ill-fated effort. You are on your own.

No expert at all. But I always wondered why chamber dives could be so much deeper then actual real dives...

Thnking out loud,, Dry chamber gravity is in effect, wet you are more weightless.. and have fluid shift in the body...

30ft on 02 intentionally,
doesn't sound smart,

For warned is for armed...

In a dry chamber you don't spit out a regulator and drown, you just get a full body workout.

To the OP, have you taken a basic Nitrox class yet?

In a dry chamber you don't spit out a regulator and drown, you just get a full
Oh understand that..

But surely that's a recorded and counts as dead.

When they say successfully dove to 2000ft I assume everything went normal and didn't tox 3 times... and or have helium related problems....

Oh understand that..

But surely that's a recorded and counts as dead.

When they say successfully dove to 2000ft I assume everything went normal and didn't tox 3 times... and or have helium related problems....
At 2000ft, I think you are speaking of the simulated dive done by Theo at Comex, right? They were not using high percentage of oxygen, so low risk of oxygen toxicity. On the other hand, I think there were effects of HPNS, but even these effects can be mitigated with slow descents IF I remember well :) Look on Wikipedia for hydrox and hydrelium, you will find the references.

As @tursiops mentioned, there are physiological differences between wet and dry environments. I think it is about the mammalian reflex, but I am not sure 100%... You need to read those papers if you want an answer :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom