Scuba Lessons for Xmas. Where should I buy gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poindexter

Reaction score
First off, this forum looks great and i'm glad i found it.

2nd. I'm a broke ass college student who's receiving
scuba lessons for xmas because I'll be diving in
Okinawa in March.

Being that I get by life pay check by pay check, where's
a modest place to pick up the gear I need for my lessons
(fins, etc...)

Would it be ok to do down the ebay route, and if I do what
should I be looking for?

Thanks

smartass...

Ditto on the profile "humour". :fury:

However, I will give my answer to your query. Since you probably have ZERO experience with diving, I'd advise your LDS (local dive shop). Since a mask needs to fit in order to keep water out, you will probably need to try several on to get a good fit. Hard to do online. Ditto on the fins. Not all makes have the same size range (med brand A is the same size as large brand B). You need a proper snorkel, not a Walmart special.
Cheap snorkel gear, PVC mask skirt, 3/4" bore snorkel, etc., just won't cut it.
Going the Ebay route, without really knowing gear, is iffy at best and your likely to end up with unserviceable gear and wasted $$$. I've seen quite a few mis-represented products and older gear that can't be serviced.

This is NOT a cheap sport, and trying to do it cheaply, is a great way to qualify for a "Darwin" award.

Had a quick look at http://www.okinawascuba.com/ Some nice diving, but lots of potential (currents, waves, DEEP) problems for an inexperienced diver. I hope you have a good guide/buddy/DM. Since Coral and poor buoyancy don't mix, not only can you damage coral, it can damage YOU. It takes a while to gain decent skills, you will need to dive your butt off before you go. Took me about 30 dives before I would rate myself as "competant" at achieving and maintaining neutral buoyancy and I'd rate myself as an average leaner.

Kent

Well thanks for the info. I wouldn't count on anyone getting into the sport without realizing the costs. But with large school costs you don't really have much of a choice until later.

As for the site, calm down people. It's an inside joke between me and some designers and I wasn't intending you to check the url (which I've removed), so I apologize for that.:bonk:

The personal gear Mask Fins and Snorkel, really need to fit, so you have to try it on, it is also in my experience the most marked up item in the store. You'll pay $20-$30 online for what would cost you $60-$70 at the LDS.

My guess is that this is the divestore really charging you for the cheap class.

My local divestore can come pretty close to online prices, for most of the bigger items (if I whine and complain enough :) ) and in some cases (tanks to name one) beat them, but I could never see paying LDS prices for another mask.

I guess I'll try heading out to the store, find what fits well and then see if there's a big difference with price compared to what I can find online. I'll head out this weekend and see what I can find.

Poindexter once bubbled...
Well thanks for the info. I wouldn't count on anyone getting into the sport without realizing the costs. But with large school costs you don't really have much of a choice until later.

I understand the schools costs, been there, have a couple of kids who'll be there soon. The "choice" is delay the gratification of diving, until you can afford it. We all (and I DO include myself here) want it all and we want it NOW! I've wanted to dive since my teens and it cost a lot more then. 10 years ago I went to an experience night and was firmly hooked. Kept saying someday. Finally last year, someday arrived! The time and the budget were there and I did my OW. This year I did AOW and my wife did her OW. Plan is next year older son does his OW, wife does her AOW and I might do Rescue (couple of factors may delay Rescue, perhaps I'll wait and my wife can catchup a bit and e can do it together).

The "course" (classroom and pool) are the lowest cost part of the whole deal. As another poster mentioned, most LDS, expect to 'subsidize' the course income with the income from that mask, fins, etc. You could go to the LDS, try on an assortment of masks and fins, find the ones that fit, forget the time (time=$$ in business) your LDS just invested, plus the cost on maintaining a storefront and stock, and find the same gear online cheaper. If enough people do it, you won't have an LDS.

disclaimer: I do NOT run or have any financial interest in an LDS (other than wanting my LDS to be there when I need air or maintenance/repairs).

Kent

With out them you will be spending alot more $ getting air. I know this because I got my own compressor and it was not cheap. And it is not cheap to run. I got it because I teach and I was buying a lot of air. That was not has bad as loading the tanks three or four times. support your LDS. as much as you can

Groundhog246 wrote...
The "course" (classroom and pool) are the lowest cost part of the whole deal. As another poster mentioned, most LDS, expect to 'subsidize' the course income with the income from that mask, fins, etc. You could go to the LDS, try on an assortment of masks and fins, find the ones that fit, forget the time (time=$$ in business) your LDS just invested, plus the cost on maintaining a storefront and stock, and find the same gear online cheaper. If enough people do it, you won't have an LDS.
Or your LDS will eventually charge a higher, more realistic price for training.

I definitely agree that it's wrong to try on things at the LDS if you have no intention of purchasing there.

Some LDS will rent you the pool gear, while others will require you to supply MFS (buy, or you could rent from elsewhere).

Still others will try to force you to buy MFS from them, at a stage when you have absolutely no idea what you should look for in such gear. These shops are the ones you should provide with a hammer, some sand, and instructions for what to do with both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom