Scuba diving dream for MD patient on a ventilator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are alot of great ideas generating from this thread!

I was in my LDS on Monday and met a woman from DiveHeart. She mentioned Matt and that they are working to find a solution as well. I told her I had heard about Matt's Dream here on ScubaBoard. I told her how I read about Dick Long and DUI taking an active interest and she wasn't aware of that.

I wonder if the many great minds would come together, Dick Long & DUI, Diveheart, some of the people here on ScubaBoard who seem to have a real grasp on the situation, if there may not be a quicker resolution!

No matter what, It looks like you have a big crowd in your corner, Matt!

Julie

I like the hookah on a demand valve idea. But you'd have to know his vent settings to try that. Do we know if he's on AC or Pressure suppost/CPAP. That might be the first place to start. Pressure support, I think would be the easiest to manage underwater, any RT want to comment on vent settings. As far as hyperbaric vents go, the ones we have in the chamber, are only set up to do AC, you can pick an etime, I time, volume and PEEP. You cant even set a rate, you have to play with the e and I times and adjust the rate that way.

Hi everyone, how are you doing? I am doing okay. Just thought I'd update everyone on what is going on. Not a whole lot new happening but we have a few new ideas that may work. I have more groups that are looking into it, Dive Hear is another handicapped diving group that has been helpful so far. Thanks for the link to that. There is a Respiratory therapist (thanks Brian1968) on scuba board that has been giving me out quite a bit too. I know that I will go diving someday, it's a big project and it might take a while. You divers have been supportive of me on scuba board, and that's what I need. I got to try on a full face diving mask the other day!!! The one I tried on was the Interspiro AGA MKII FFM. I was impressed with how comfortable it was. I loved it. I love everything about diving and it just felt really good to have one on. It was really cool to try it on and it fit me like a glove. Thanks for your continued interest and have a great day everyone. Take care from Matt. :butnhome:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Hi Matt,

I just discovered this thread today, and I'd like to volunteer to be one of your support divers once we get the technical issues worked out. I admire your goal and wish you all the best. I'd also like to chime in with an earlier post about the Florida Springs as a possible dive site. It's clear, relatively warm (so that you can dive year-round) and in fresh water, which might eliminate part of the aspiration risk.

I was wondering how many of the respiratory/technical/medical experts might be interested in joining together for a conference call to discuss ways in which we can make this dive happen. I would be willing to participate if a call seems appropriate.

Again, best wishes,
Grier

Howdy Matt!

Even though we've PMed lately, I thought I post what I have here - so others interested {and I know that many here are} can know about what I've learned today. Speaking for myself and just maybe some others - I/we would really like to help you with your quest, but I/we are frustrated that we have nothing direct to offer.

I called DUI today, but still missed Dick Long; guess he was off enjoying his part-time retirement. I did get to speak with his daughter Susan Long, though, and she tells me that you two have been emailing each other a lot - but more along the friendship level. You're quite the charmer, eh? :eyebrow:

Then I spoke with Faith, with whom I understand that you've been actually working with (Yeah, you're probably flirting with them both). I remember meeting her at a New Mexico Dog Days weekend 1-1/2 years ago, and she claims she remembers me. Anyway, she advises that DUI is working on outfitting your Exposure Suit needs, which is great news. Any water under 90oF is likely to be chilling since you're not burning many calories when you go in the water. I don't think you could ask for better experts, or better people on your side.

Faith said she thinks you're working with a Respiration expert to handle the Ventilator needs, the most challenging of all this. She's looking into putting the machine in the drysuit with you, or perhaps surface supplied air. Believe she has quite a bit of experience in Assisted Scuba diving.

We also talked about the possibilities of asking Disney or one of the other parks with large aquariums and diving programs - both as a safe place to dive and possibly a partial funder for the project. Funding may well be a big factor, in getting you to location, etc., and I wondered if you have donors - or if you happen to be rich :wink: - for this area. Faith added that we had to get you capable of pool diving first; I tend to jump past basics, at times. :crafty:

And we talked about getting you into a submersible, and I think she said she could get you into one of those - either in the Caymans or out of Oakland Calf - faster than Scuba might happen.

I'd really like to see you on Assisted Scuba in say John Penekemp park, Key Largo Florida, so that I could join you and maybe a hundred or two of your fans on a dive, but the aquarium dive or the sub ride are a lot more possible.

And finally - no one can guarantee that you or I either one will be alive and able to do all this in months to come, so - I'd really like to see solutions in the near future.

So, while you have me and a few hundred other fans cheering you own, and you have Faith, do you have anyone in particular coordianting efforts and requests? We can talk and talk, but action will take action.

Well, that's what I have to report. Hope you or others have more news...?

best regards, don

PS: I like your new Sig, as seen on your PM, and I wonder why it doesn't show up on your posts? When you do post, go to "Additional options" below the typing area, then to "Miscellaneous Options" and make sure that "Show your Signature" is checked. You may need to turn that on in your User Options to make it automatic...?

Sounds dangerous.
Sounds doable.
Sounds cool.

Good luck!

Hi all,

I first of all wanted to thank everyone for the help you have been giving me. I’m still hard at work with my diving dream. I was just writing today with a question. I was wondering if anyone has heard of the Moray Wheels? They were a handicapped diving group based out east. They helped a ventilator patient go underwater for a couple minutes some years ago. The group is no longer active. I need to find someone that helped plan that dive. One of my friends told me about it. I appreciate anyone that can give me further information. From MTWB.

:butnhome:

Hi all,

Just wanted to quick share with you all the web site I have been working on regarding my dream. Come take a look and let me know what you think. Here's the address
http://www.scubadivingdream.com/
I really appreciate the active interest you all have been taking in my dream. I would love to have you all there when I do go diving. I have been the main one trying to cooridinate all this, it seems a bit much for others to take on! I will continue to keep everyone posted. Take care.
:usa:

Nice site Matt. However it is very hard to read dark blue text on a blue background. Maybe increasing the font size and changing it to boring black would help.
Thanks for keeping us up to date on the progress. Also, if you go to the first page of this thread and look in the address bar, you will find the URL of this thread. You can use that to link here from your webpage.
Keep up the optimism, I hope you will be able to dive one day!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom