Scuba diving dream for MD patient on a ventilator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt the Aquaman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
:happywave Hi everyone, my name is Matt. I am 27 years old and vent-dependent with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. I love everything to do with scuba diving and all the technology for diving. I love everything to do with underwater life too. (especially SHARKS!) I think that DUI products are the best! So I am biased in my opinion that DUI has the best products! I live in Woodbury, MN- the land of 10,000 lakes. I have one last goal I want to accomplish in my life and that is to go scuba diving! My doctor and other colleagues think it’s doable with the right equipment. And I have many others working on this project with me. I’m also in contact with respiratory therapists and if there are any respiratory therapist who know’s scuba diving that can help me with my quest. So if anyone knows of someone with this back ground please let me know. I know Dick Long and am best friends with his daughter Susan Long from DUI. They are going to help me if the technical details about using a vent underwater get worked out. Please contact me if you know of anybody that could help. I have already been in touch with some handicapped scuba groups, but they don't have experience with ventilators. I'd be so grateful for any replies! :crafty:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Howdy!

I admire your goals and determination. I can't be much help directly, but if I can help move your quest along, please do PM me. Intros here on this forum quickly slip on to pages 2 and beyond. Maybe this would be better served in Dive Medicine? I'll ask a Moderator to look it...??

I've met Dick a couple of times, and he is certainly a good one to have on your side. And we have many expersts here, too; I'm not one of them, but we'll try to get their attention here. Off hand, I'm thinking of 2 safety divers, a full face mask, and some sort of manual control system, but I'll bet it'll get more complicated than that.

Stay in touch...

don
'

:D

Hello Don,

I appreciate you taking the time to write. Anything you can do to point me in
the right direction would be most appreciated. It's been a dream of mine for a
long time now...only time isn't on my side anymore. But the one thing that's been
in big plus in my life is meeting so many wonderful people who are involved in Scuba
diving in one regard or another. Again, thanks for your response and I look forward to hearing from you again...

Respectfully,
-Matt-
:sharks:

Matt,

I can't offer any advise for your situation, but wanted to offer encouragement. I think it's great that you're pursuing something important to you, and I wish you the best of luck in achieving your goal.
Please let us know your progress!!

Jeremy

Matt, welcome to the board.

I'm no expert on your situation, but I do want to say I hope you manage to reach your goal. I did happen to find an article by someone on a ventilator who went skydiving: http://www.post-polio.org/ivun/ivun7-2.html#air though I don't know if it would have a direct bearing on what you're attempting.

You haven't said where you are from, but I'm assuming the USA.

Good Luck.

Hey Jeremy, Thanks for your response! I just this past weekend spent the day with Dick Long of DUI at Lake Wazee in Wisconsin. He's helping me achieve my goal and made me an honorary "DOG!" Please stay in touch! I will let you know what transpires in my quest.

Regards,
-Matt-
:sprite10:

Hello and thanks for you reply! I look forward to the possibilities of being able
to scuba dive and experience at first hand the enjoyment you all share with one
another. I live in Woodbury Minnesota...a suburb east of St. Paul. I will definately
keep everyone informed of my pursuit.

Respectfully,
-Matt-
:42:

Matt....i can't offer you any advise, but i really admire you for wanting to do something that you really like. Good luck with it and hope that you will be able to achive your goal. good luck and keep us posted.

Hi Matt and welcome. Here's a link to an organization that specializes in Handicapped diving. I don't know if they have experience in your situation, but it couldn't hurt to check them out.

http://www.iahd.org/

Brian

Welcome to ScubaBoard, I hope your dream gets fulfilled...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom