Scuba diving dream for MD patient on a ventilator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:arrr: Ahoy there Matt! Well buddy, sounds like you've got a little obstacle to overcome, but one thing I've learned in life is that if you set your goals, you'll eventually achieve them. Keep us posted, and make sure to post once you make that dive!

I don't know if the folks at Dive Heart can make this happen, but they work with a wide variety of divers with handicaps in the Chicago area and have done some fairly impressive things in training divers and getting them in the water. If nothing else, they might be a good source for more information.

We're all looking forward to some pictures of you beneath the waves, don't disappoint us. Keep at it and let us know how things work out.

Tip of the hat to the Long's - good to see them still giving back to diving. Nice folks, too.

Matt: welcome aboard...hope you enjoy your time here on ScubaBoard.

We wish you the best achieving your dream...and certainly looking forward to hearing about your progress!

I was going to mention DiveHeart as well, but ReefRaff beat me to it. Some people from my LDS work with them. They are a great organization. I'll see if I can find out anything that may help you.

Julie

Hi Matt,

We're all hoping you can do it. If you can make it to Florida, we have some nice 72 degree fresh water springs that are easy to dive.

Here's a link to a place where a lot of us learn and practice when we were getting started www.underwaterflorida.homestead.com/alexander.html

If you can come down to Florida, there are a lot of nice divers that would be happy to meet you and help any way we can.

I hope your dreams can come true... have you contacted HSA for possible assistance in this?

Hi all! I was very encouraged by the wonderful messages to my email. Thank you so much. You diving people are cool, my kind of people! Very thoughtful too. I will definitely keep everyone posted on my dream and the latest happenings. I know some of you were asking if I had talked to HSA and other handicapped diving goups. I have been in touch with some and they are working with my doctor. It really made my day to read through the replies. If I don't get back to one of you right away- it doesn't mean I don't want to talk- I just have to wait for someone to type for me! Take care from Matt the Wonder Boy. :auto:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

It was nice hearing from you. I was interested what you meant by positive pressure rig for diving? I was just curious. Thanks from Matt the Wonder Boy :sunny

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Matt the Wonder Boy:
It was nice hearing from you. I was interested what you meant by positive pressure rig for diving? I was just curious. Thanks from Matt the Wonder Boy
A hooka is surfaced supplied air compressor, with a long hose to the diver's 2nd stage regulator. My "idea" was to provide the positive pressure ventilator at the surface with a long hose to you (I'm assuming you have a trach tube?). Scuba regulators are demand valves - you have to inhale to make it give you air, when you stop inhaling, it stops giving air. A ventilator is usually positive pressure air to the patient. My thought was rather than trying to provide the positive pressure unit under water, do it from the surface via a hose however long you want it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom