Scuba diver death in Rochester NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsado

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
my condolences also.

the accident seems to be summed up so far as:

solo dive- dark very cold (probably 37-45 degrees)
140 feet deep
full face mask
unknown gas mix
unknown exposure protection (dry suit vs other)
unknown experience
retrieving equipment of unknown weight or bulk - ?lift bag vs other

sad result

dave

From reading the "news" report I can NOT sum anything up.I don't see how people right away categorize the events that possibly led up to the accident.Most "news" stories about diving accidents are grossly inaccurate they are writen by reporters not divers.UNKNOWN is the operative word in cases like this.

My condolences to his family.

my condolences also.

the accident seems to be summed up so far as:

solo dive- dark very cold (probably 37-45 degrees)
140 feet deep
full face mask
unknown gas mix
unknown exposure protection (dry suit vs other)
unknown experience
retrieving equipment of unknown weight or bulk - ?lift bag vs other

sad result

dave

Sad to hear.

Dave, do you have other information on this accident? Where did you hear he was wearing a full face mask? I'm not sure I understand what was "summed" up. It could be quite possible that the authorities might make a determination on the cause of the fatality with the facts gathered in the investigation rather than assumptions we might make here from a news report. I think in respect for the victim, we should wait before we jump to any conclusions.

From the report, one thing can be said, this is a sad loss to the community there. Our sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

Once again --let's wait until there is more information to form opinions.

Jeff

If this is the usual, we may never have any more information.

Here are some straight facts, not opinion. Assuming that the report is accurate, a diver left his buddy alone at 140', and when he returned his buddy was dead. Here is my opinion. We can learn something from this, and maybe avoid a repeat.

i have yet to see an "official" report of a diving death in the states or canada.

i guess the authorities won't release them without the permission of the families.

unfortunately that leaves us speculating on 2nd hand info.

but it is better than just throwing up our hands and saying "let's wait for a report".

if one person reads any discussion of an accident and decides to take a different and safer road then the discussion was for good. i should have prefaced by saying what in my post was bad planning but i give serious divers credit for discerning good vs bad diving .

but then again if common sense was common we wouldn't make such a big deal about it.

"Unoffical report from a responder on scene: 3 divers from a Buffalo area collage were diving to retrieve a piece of equipment in 104' of water. A diver on the surface reportedly noticied a steady stream of bubbles and dove to investigate and found the diver, unresponsive on the bottom with his full face mask dislodged.

Disclaimer. This info is unconfirmed, and just a report from a responder who was onscene. "

here's some more info to modify my "summary"

dave

i have yet to see an "official" report of a diving death in the states or canada.

i guess the authorities won't release them without the permission of the families.

unfortunately that leaves us speculating on 2nd hand info.

but it is better than just throwing up our hands and saying "let's wait for a report".

if one person reads any discussion of an accident and decides to take a different and safer road then the discussion was for good. i should have prefaced by saying what in my post was bad planning but i give serious divers credit for discerning good vs bad diving .

but then again if common sense was common we wouldn't make such a big deal about it.

"Unoffical report from a responder on scene: 3 divers from a Buffalo area collage were diving to retrieve a piece of equipment in 104' of water. A diver on the surface reportedly noticied a steady stream of bubbles and dove to investigate and found the diver, unresponsive on the bottom with his full face mask dislodged.

Disclaimer. This info is unconfirmed, and just a report from a responder who was onscene. "

here's some more info to modify my "summary"

dave

So the depth has changed from 140 ft to 104 ft now and he was wearing a full face mask according to a responder? Notice how tha facts are changing from the "news" story .Was the responder a diver or was he not ,that has a big bearing on the "facts" also .The reponder might not even know what a full face mask is and is just assuming.It is still speculation.

Once again --let's wait until there is more information to form opinions.

I've got one anyway.

James Miles, witness, "Just basically they didn't know what happened, he was down there by himself, the other diver had come up to retrieve a tool or something and they seen the air bubbles were kind of funny so they went back down and he was lying there."
If he hadn't been diving alone, he might not be dead right now.

It sucks that he died. It sucks even worse that it was probably preventable.

Terry

All dive deaths are preventable...

Having gone to school in the area, and done some dives with a professor at the time, I can tell you those waters are very cold and very dark and potentially pretty scary. Sad to hear this guy get stuck under such conditions.

Back
Top Bottom