Scuba diver death in Rochester NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I know enough to know I don't really know much. But I've read some things here that fly in the face of what you just said (in particular, about PPO2).

Some people, reputedely great divers, have died even though doing everything by the book. So, what do you call that?

Its impractical if not impossible to remove all risk (aka " by doing everything by the book"), therefore there is always a possibility, with perhaps a low-probability, that you will die while diving. Proper planning and execution is about risk mitigation, not risk elimination.

Each of us consciously or sub-consciously evaluates our personal appetite for risk and acts accordingly. The typical issues / questions regarding non-health related scuba accidents are:
  1. Was the diver sufficiently aware of the risks?
  2. Was the diver sufficiently 'prepared' to evaluate those risks?
  3. Did the diver correctly mitigate the target risk?

Had the deceased diver followed his training and stayed with his buddy, chances are excellent he would have ended up recovering in a hospital bed instead of leading a funeral procession.

Terry

That's bull****. Until YOU know the cause of death you can't say that. All I'll say is he'd be dead whether he was diving, sleeping, driving etc.

That's bull****. Until YOU know the cause of death you can't say that. All I'll say is he'd be dead whether he was diving, sleeping, driving etc.

The buddy that surfaced is alive.

The guy that stayed down is dead.

It's impossible to be dead underwater if you're not there.

Surfacing with his buddy would have meant that even if he had a heart-attack or seizure underwater, his buddy would have brought him to the surface for first aid.

No matter what problem he had, the chances for a favorable outcome are tremendously better if it happens on the surface near people trained in first aid, with O2 available.

Terry

Interesting that some folks jumping on the "buddy separation bandwagon" are members of the solo diving forum....................................

Interesting that some folks jumping on the "buddy separation bandwagon" are members of the solo diving forum....................................

I joined when I had a lot fewer dives and thought "what could possibly go wrong that I couldn't fix?" when diving alone.

Now I know better.

Terry

If you don't believe in Solo Diving, then why are you still a member of the group? It's easy enough to drop out. Besides the group is a "No Troll" area. If you don't have anything to contribute you shouldn't be there.

I've posted three messages there. Ever. None generated a response.

I'm not sure why you would care, except that you're looking for pointless issues to stir up.

Not that it's any of your business, but I'm still a member only because I never bothered to unsubscribe.

The reason this thread is FUBAR is because you started off my saying "If he hadn't been diving alone, he might not be dead right now. It sucks that he died. It sucks even worse that it was probably preventable,"
And I'm still saying it.

Barring any evidence of an unpreventable medical event, I'm right. You can't die alone on the bottom if you're not alone and you're not on the bottom. There just aren't a lot of ways around this.

I'm not saying the victim was a bad person, I'm saying that there are procedures that if followed would have increased his chances for survival.

Don't like it? Prove me wrong. Post the actual cause of death. If it's pretty much anything except a fatal medical event, a good buddy could have changed the outcome.

I'm sorry if this bothers the "He didn't do anything wrong" and the "Solo diving is cool" crowd, but the truth is the truth.

and your partner in your argument, z3r0c001, said, "All dive deaths are preventable..." Both of those statements are total BS. Yours because you have no first hand knowledge of the accident, and z2rc001's because his comment is just plain stupid.

That's why the rest of the guys have jumped all over the two of you and that's why you should back off. At this point the two of you are looking like fools and have turned this thread away from the intended purpose of this forum.
I'll happily look like a fool if it keeps even one more person from dying because they ignored standard safety protocols.

Instead of turning in others for calling you names maybe you should turn yourself into the mod for highjacking this thread, degrading this forum by arguing unrelated points, and making uninformed statements about the choices of the deceased which are only adding insult to injury to anyone who might know him.
The purpose of this forum is to discuss accidents in the hope of preventing repeats.

I think you owe the deceased's family and friends an apology.
Well, that makes one of us.

From where I'm sitting, I owe the deceased a little effort to prevent others from following the same path he did.

Terry

It's very simple, some people in real life are very insecure and have ultra low self esteem so when they can put up a front like a screenname on scubaboard they develop these massive egos to counter their inability function in a normal capacity. Does this sound plausible?

The other possibility is that I believe that "accidents" have causes and can be prevented by learning from mistakes in the hope of not having another one.

Terry

The other possibility is that I believe that "accidents" have causes and can be prevented by learning from mistakes in the hope of not having another one.

Terry

And what have you learned from this incident? That diving solo is not recommended...duh. What diver hasn't heard that?

Since we still have no official report posted you can't second guess the diver. You don't know what mistakes were made. You don't even know for sure he was solo unless you were there...and you weren't.

Don't discount the possibility that if the man had a buddy they might both be deceased. I'm not saying the chances are greater. I'm just saying it is a possibility. Folks who find themselves in life and death situations act irrationally sometimes. For example, divers in OOG situations commonly rip the reg out of their buddy's mouth. We don't know what would have happened if he had a buddy. Things probably would have turned out differently, but we will never know, so why speculate?

Bottom line...none of us have learned anything from this incident simply because we don't have the facts. Since we don't have the facts we (including you) should not be speculating. Period.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom