Error Diver drowned after accidentally falling in lake with gear on

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by the diver, buddy, crew, or anyone else in the "chain".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So i am always solo diving by the shore. I put my bcd on the ground and i make sure that air is on and breathe from regulator. same for poney).

My reg is attached to a small bolt snap on a chest D-ring.

When i get in the water my bcd is a little b inflate but not that much being on a 7 MM gear it take a while to sink anyway. I Put my fins and finally my mask at the end. Before i go down i check pressure on both tanks and make sure everything work good.

I don't understand how could happen to this guy put RIP.

be safe

If the head is fully submerged, that implies the diver is negatively buoyant (in that moment anyway). They shouldn't be able to hold that depth without kicking.
No, *sinking* implies being negatively buoyant. Maintaining depth without kicking implies being neutrally buoyant. One can be neutral with the head fully submerged and not kicking by using the BC or lungs (or combination thereof). 70 cf of air weighs 4.6 lb, which can be offset by 2.5 L of air in the lungs and/or BC. (The average inspiratory capacity for adult males is significantly higher at 3.8 L.)

I can easily see how this could happen if he were in tech gear; you can ditch a BP/W, or a sidemount BC, but they usually have continuous webbing and are not nearly as easy to ditch as a regular jacket BC (or anything with clips).

If he was in BM doubles and his air wasn't on....sure, in theory he could have reached back and turned it on OR ditched his whole rig. But both those options require realizing what the problem is, and take **some time** (not a ton of time, but some time) to actually accomplish,. And I can see how the panic of plunging quickly and unexpectedly backwards underwater could create enough of a delayed response to inhale water and drown. I try never to go near the water in doubles with my air off, but it happens (rarely) sometimes.

And, if in SM, we nearly always stage the tanks in the water with regs stowed and valves off, while off fetching other gear, stages, etc. Again, can easily see how a misstep and sudden plunge could keep you from realizing you could either just ditch the tanks (or your whole rig) and swim up, or take the time to deploy the reg and turn on the air.

Wow, this report scared the bejeebers out of me. The last dive I was donning my BP/W with my feet hanging over the edge of a dock in 12’ of water. I could have easily tipped over into the water before I was ready. Never again. Thanks for jolting me into a safer way of thinking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom