Scooters - should you use one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would definitely advise against people who aren't already motorcyclists renting a scooter for the 1st time in Cozumel. I think there are a fair number of tourists who rent a scooters for the 1st time there, and I believe this accounts for a good portion of the accidents (though certainly not all).
And this is the demographic to which this advice is primarily directed, although three of the four cases I mentioned were experienced riders and two of them are/were Cozumelenos.

Even experienced motorcycle drivers can be lulled into a false sense of security with the scooters. Scooters are NOT the same as motorcycles. They have much higher centers of gravity, are much less stable in a turn, or in a quick braking situation, and with thinner and lighter tires, the gyroscopic effect which lends a motorcycle stability is much less pronounced. Overall, scooters have very different ride characteristics than true motorcycles, and an experienced motorcycle driver who doesn’t realize these differences might be overconfident.

Even experienced motorcycle drivers can be lulled into a false sense of security with the scooters. Scooters are NOT the same as motorcycles. They have much higher centers of gravity, are much less stable in a turn, or in a quick braking situation, and with thinner and lighter tires, the gyroscopic effect which lends a motorcycle stability is much less pronounced. Overall, scooters have very different ride characteristics than true motorcycles, and an experienced motorcycle driver who doesn’t realize these differences might be overconfident.
There are definitely differences, though many aren't huge differences at the speeds at which you should be going on Cozumel. In any event, a rider should always be extra vigilant on any bike they aren't familiar with.

There's a lot of aggressive driving in Cozumel, Mexico for that matter. Seems to be 4x the number of scooters verses cars and its virtually impossible to get some places without a scooter...

Saw this wreck on the beach.
IMG_20190113_182315609_HDR.jpg

This accident happened on a Sunday, relatively early in the day. So no cruise ships and very, very light traffic. The person on the scooter was a local resident. And the guy that died from the accident in front of our place last year...also a local. Lost control of his scooter, slid about 50 feet before catapulting himself into a wire attached to a pole.

I would definitely advise against people who aren't already motorcyclists renting a scooter for the 1st time in Cozumel. I think there are a fair number of tourists who rent a scooters for the 1st time there, and I believe this accounts for a good portion of the accidents (though certainly not all).

In addition to to physical vulnerability and instability of two wheeled transport there are other factors to consider:
Quality and impartiality of emergency response.
Quality of emergency care.
Familiarity with traffic rules and norms.
Familiarity with traffic patterns and layout.
Experience level with two wheel transport.

I've been riding motorbikes for 55 years and would not consider riding a scooter on Cozumel.

You dit bait me :) i did expect that the topic would be about the good kind of scooters, Suex. Not the Boring ones :)
Same here. At least it gave me a quick chuckle!

I rent a scooter and a car down there but am hyper vigilant on the scooter. Driving the car scares the bejebees out of me when you pass the family of 3,4 or even 5 on a scooter - an accident like that would be frightening.

That picture above reminds me of seeing two on a scooter leaving Sams Club, the lady in back holding a big box on the guys head....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom