Scooters - should you use one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The above photo is from Marrakech, Morocco, where the scooters get even by terrorizing pedestrians.

For those that are visiting the island, it's probably prudent to avoid scooters and/or rental vehicles in general. The cost of taxis is manageable, and one can rent a taxi for 1/2 or full day if you just want to explore.

For those that live on the island, it's a bit more complicated. Living in Centro, a great many places can be reached by walking. Colectivos are very inexpensive if one is not carrying a lot of baggage. However, not every place is within walking distance, and if one has more than a few bags of groceries, colectivos aren't really designed for that kind of service. If taxis consistently charged the tariffed fare, I suspect a lot of people would be happy to forgo vehicle ownership entirely. However, while it may only be a small percentage, the number of taxis charging exorbitant rates, especially (but not exclusively) to people who look like expats, becomes a frustrating and potentially expensive long term solution.

Owning some kind of vehicle is often the most practical alternative, and scooters are one option. Not to discount @MMM's post, but I suspect that a disproportionate number of scooter accidents are short-term tourists. There are people who blow through stop signs and are hit-and-run victims in every country, and while there is a certain wild west mentality on Cozumel, it's not entirely fair to single out the island.

Unless I'm on one of the major boulevards, I always try to be aware that someone may blow through a stop sign, while traversing the neighborhoods. I am also one to maintain the vehicle, including all the lights and indicators (it's astonishing the number of scooters I see while walking at night that don't have a working headlight). Safety is always a concern, certainly, and I would be very leery of riding on Melgar near the cruise piers because of all the weird traffic.

If I were going to be driving more, I might consider a car, but given that I try to stay off the roads, a low cost scooter seems to be the best solution, albeit with some inherent risks.

If I remember correctly Sharky60 had a bad experience on a scooter (some time back).

there are other factors to consider:
Quality and impartiality of emergency response.
Quality of emergency care.

Those two factors do not concern me in Cozumel. There are very competent first responders and well-staffed, well-equipped emergency departments.

Obviously, step one is "don't require emergency care". To me, scooters expose us to so much risk these days that we're selling ours. We're experienced riders, both of motorcycles and of scooters (started out on a Vespa that we still own). We're very familiar with local roads. Our scooters are obsessively maintained. We really enjoy riding. It's just not safe any longer. There are so many more cars on the roads than just a few years ago that it's mind-boggling.

I suspect that a disproportionate number of scooter accidents are short-term tourists.

Disproportionate to what? The tourist-to-resident ratio?

There are people who blow through stop signs and are hit-and-run victims in every country,

In Mexico, though, MANY drivers believe that the best thing for them to do after any sort of collision is to leave the scene immediately.

There are people who blow through stop signs and are hit-and-run victims in every country, and while there is a certain wild west mentality on Cozumel, it's not entirely fair to single out the island.
One thing about the streets in San Miguel is that the buildings are very close to the street. On corners with stop signs drivers must pull up to where their cars' front ends are out into the cross street in order to see what's coming.

I thought there was a video posted in this thread of a family of four (or was it five) loading onto a scooter, with groceries, and driving off. I don't see it now - does anyone remember where that was posted? Searching the forum for "scooter" or "scooter video" either produces too few or too many results.

I thought there was a video posted in this thread of a family of four (or was it five) loading onto a scooter, with groceries, and driving off. I don't see it now - does anyone remember where that was posted? Searching the forum for "scooter" or "scooter video" either produces too few or too many results.
I have a series of consecutive still images (not video) of a mother and father loading three kids, a mop and bucket, a two-seater baby stroller, a full shopping bag and themselves on their scooter before zooming off. See http://everythingcozumel.com/funny-cozumel-photos/ at the bottom of the page, under the title "We don't need no stinkin' station wagon!"

avoid using a scooter if possible. I've seen WAY too many people messed up from accidents on those things.

I have a series of consecutive still images (not video) of a mother and father loading three kids, a mop and bucket, a two-seater baby stroller, a full shopping bag and themselves on their scooter before zooming off. See Funny Photos at the bottom of the page, under the title "We don't need no stinkin' station wagon!"
That's the one! I'm not certain if I saw it here first or on your site. (Trying to explain to a friend how scooters are loaded here.) Thanks!

This was (as some will be able to tell from the mural) on 30 Av. Taken in September 2016.

14457465_10209919252234338_31430802658489425_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom