Scooters in smaller passages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I scootered solo OC SM in Sherwood Split all the way to the EOL, at low speed and coming off the trigger here and there as needed. Return was maybe a bit more silty than when swimming it, possibly because I was faster to get to the end and turn, with less time for the particles to dissipate in the flow. It was a good dive, as the flow gets stronger towards the back and the scooter was nice to have.

Don't worry, the prop shroud will scoop out the passage and make it bigger as you go. Just go look at JB.

I scootered solo OC SM in Sherwood Split all the way to the EOL, at low speed and coming off the trigger here and there as needed. Return was maybe a bit more silty than when swimming it, possibly because I was faster to get to the end and turn, with less time for the particles to dissipate in the flow. It was a good dive, as the flow gets stronger towards the back and the scooter was nice to have.
Why would you want to do that? I understand scootering to a destination... But that passage is sort of a destination that is better explored without a DPV.

Why would you want to do that? I understand scootering to a destination... But that passage is sort of a destination that is better explored without a DPV.

Fair point. The diving that I am doing is not necessarily about the destination, it is about enjoying the dive, and I typically enjoy it more when I work less. I've done that passage both swimming and carefully scootering at low speed, and I far more enjoyed it using the scooter where suitable.

I recall a particularly disastrous outcome a few years ago at ginnie caused by scooters being brought where they shouldn’t.

Don’t let your bag of toys outweigh your bag of good sense.

I recall a particularly disastrous outcome a few years ago at ginnie caused by scooters being brought where they shouldn’t.

Don’t let your bag of toys outweigh your bag of good sense.
That was way more than just the scooters, and in hindsight quite survivable despite the scooter CF, had they had the right gas planning and team mindset (assuming we’re talking about the same incident).
The dive to the end of the line in Mainland is very enjoyable as a swim dive, as there’s little flow, and I’ve done it several times without thinking a scooter would add to the experience (edited to add swimming from the gold line jump, not from the stairs 😊).
Anyway, good advice, thanks and safe diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom