Scared of Nitrogen Narcosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you guys for all your replies. It makes total sense the things you have said and I feel a lot better.
Since it's been a while since I dove, I guess hearing that story today, plus watching that video posted on here from YouTube about the guy who rescued those 2 divers at 140 feet with like 400 & 700 PSI freaked me out and made me think, I'll get narc'd out and not even know it and make some insane decision and kill myself...lol...(I know that's a little dramatic).

But it is very comforting that you will have signs of it before you get crazy and just dive for the deep end of nowhere. I hold my gauges in my hand and check them regularly, so hearing your advice and knowing my tendancies makes me feel better about this now. :)

SoccerJeni,

You have already been narc'd to some extent on your prior dives. You know that your body tissues absorb nitrogen when your dive. Aside from the risk of DCS you metal capacity is also diminished as your brain tissue absorbs nitrogen. It may not be a stretch to say it is that impairment or "buzz" than is part of the pleasure and relaxation than many find in diving. The deeper you go, the more impaired you become. Depending on the person, their condition and the dive situation narcosis can provoke a range of emotion from exhilarating joy to terror, just like you can have happy drunks and grumpy drunks.

This is where TS&M's remarks come home. By gradually progressing deeper and deeper and diving with a competent buddy you develop awareness of your condition. When you do your AOW deep dive one exercise should be some sort of task that demonstrates that you are not on top of your game when deep. Good awareness, teamwork and planning all help control the risk of narcosis. It is very rare to hear of any debilitating effects in the range of an OW diver and even to 80 feet or so.

Relax, get back into the swing of diving and gradually expand your horizons.

Pete

Thank you guys for all your replies. It makes total sense the things you have said and I feel a lot better.
Since it's been a while since I dove, I guess hearing that story today, plus watching that video posted on here from YouTube about the guy who rescued those 2 divers at 140 feet with like 400 & 700 PSI freaked me out and made me think, I'll get narc'd out and not even know it and make some insane decision and kill myself...lol...(I know that's a little dramatic).

But it is very comforting that you will have signs of it before you get crazy and just dive for the deep end of nowhere. I hold my gauges in my hand and check them regularly, so hearing your advice and knowing my tendancies makes me feel better about this now. :)

While things like that video can happen, given the number of dives that are safely executed on any given day, it's extremely rare. And then there are some people that are going to be stupid no matter what you tell them.

Stay within your training and progress at a pace that you're comfortable with and you should be fine. I noticed you were about to do a refresher course and heading for the Keys soon. Keep in mind there may be some deeper dives there (wrecks) but that doesn't mean you have to go to the bottom. There is lots of of stuff you can see shallower until you build the confidence to continue on.

While things like that video can happen, given the number of dives that are safely executed on any given day, it's extremely rare. And then there are some people that are going to be stupid no matter what you tell them.

Stay within your training and progress at a pace that you're comfortable with and you should be fine. I noticed you were about to do a refresher course and heading for the Keys soon. Keep in mind there may be some deeper dives there (wrecks) but that doesn't mean you have to go to the bottom. There is lots of of stuff you can see shallower until you build the confidence to continue on.

Yes, I did the refresher today and I'm going to Key Largo within a few weeks and can't wait! Perfect thoughts! I definitely want to stay within my limits and I am absolutely sure I do not want to go below 60 feet. I have no problem vocalizing my comfort level and maintaining that in the water. I really believe in discussing things out and planning. Thanks a bunch! :)

... I guess hearing that story today, plus watching that video posted on here from YouTube about the guy who rescued those 2 divers at 140 feet with like 400 & 700 PSI freaked me out and made me think, I'll get narc'd out and not even know it and make some insane decision and kill myself...lol...(I know that's a little dramatic).

Glad you brought that up. Nitrogen narcosis probably WAS a factor in that incident. It probably contributed to the fact that those divers were not checking their air the entire dive. They were clearly very absent minded on that dive. However, the *root cause* is that they were at 140' without the proper experience or training. More than likely, they had never been anywhere near that deep and so they were 'surprised' by narcosis.

Glad you brought that up. Nitrogen narcosis probably WAS a factor in that incident. It probably contributed to the fact that those divers were not checking their air the entire dive. They were clearly very absent minded on that dive. However, the *root cause* is that they were at 140' without the proper experience or training. More than likely, they had never been anywhere near that deep and so they were 'surprised' by narcosis.

Very good point that they were probably surprised by narcosis because of lack of training. I'm glad I'm thinking about it now when I have time to realize what I need to do ahead of time. *shew*

I think I remember my 1st narc. In my AOW class we went to 115' and did a few drills to show how heavy (negatively buoyant) you are that deep and followed the bottom up towards the beach. On the way my instructor pointed something out to me. I stopped and looked at it but had no idea what it was. When I was going to get closer to the "thing" the instructor started to continue the dive and I figured that I better follow.

When we surfaced I asked him what it was he pointed out. He said a crab in the bottom of a 55 gallon trash can. I still do not believe him, but he is probably right. Since then I have made a handful of dives to that depth with no problems.

But like others have said, you will usually need a purpose to go that deep. Your time is very limited and your gas will go quicker than you think.

It hit me once. I hit 105 fsw on air and it hit me fast. I was the nervous/paranoid type. I felt it, knew it was happening so just started repeating it to myself, "you're getting narc'd. It's okay. Relax." I repeated that sort of line a few times while staring at my buddy. He pointed at the other two we descended with and one had a strobe. Suddenly I was fine. Ended up being a great dive. On a side note, as was mentioned early about things that add to it, this was a night dive. Hadn't done one in quite a while, either.

I agree....don't be afraid of it. Just have a plan. Descend slower than usual, make sure you and buddy know you must be keenly aware of the signs, remedy, etc.

Narcosis is insidious, it creeps up on you, but if you stay above 60ft the effects will be minimal. Factors like cold and visibility effect the onset of Narcosis. So if diving dark and cold dive shallow, while breathing air. Recreational diving is supposed to be fun and relaxing so avoid stressful dives for now and build up your experience slowly. I have recently returned to Scottish waters (cold and Dark) and for now have a self imposed 15m (50ft) limit to my dives till I am comfortable again.

Narcosis is comfortable to me. My bubbles from my exhaust start to play percussion beats like bongo drums. I find that I like to be as horizontal as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom