Scared of Nitrogen Narcosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John....that's what I've read thus far. The big difference is the narcotic effect of nitrogen in the human body is a KNOWN while the narcotic effect of O2 is an assumption. I was thinking that by now surely someone would have come up with more substantial support for that theory.

I guess my problem is when I hear "narcotic" related to diving I think bad things. O2 does have a narcotic effect because breathing pure O2 makes a person feel refreshed, rids headaches, etc. However, those are not only acceptable but desirable effects. At depth, I think toxicity would be an issue long before any negative narcotic effect was revealed.

In relation to the OP, take AOW and the nitrox course and learn even more. Sorry for the hijack.

No problem :wink: I'm learning things from this discussion.

No problem :wink: I'm learning things from this discussion.

We're here to help. :)

I've seen those studies quoted before. The problem I had was that the PO2 levels were pretty far up there, some had them at incredible depths like 8 ATA, etc. Nothing relating to recreational depth and very little relating to moderate tech depths of 150-200 fsw....unless I missed something.

Oh...and the "thanks" button popped up again. :D

I've seen those studies quoted before. The problem I had was that the PO2 levels were pretty far up there, some had them at incredible depths like 8 ATA, etc. Nothing relating to recreational depth and very little relating to moderate tech depths of 150-200 fsw....unless I missed something.

Oh...and the "thanks" button popped up again. :D

Are you sure you weren't just a little bit narced?:D

Ron

This crap is soooo confusing.

Maybe it's just me, but when I read something that shows how little people knew about certain things not long ago compared to what we know now, I have a tendency to think that people were in the dark ages back then. Soon after that I realize how little we know about some stuff now and realize that before long people will be looking at our current state of knowledge and thinking of it as the dark ages.

The reason it is confusing now is because we don't know enough to explain things in clear and consistent language. I, for one, believe we are especially unclear about the effects of oxygen exposure on the body, and I would not be surprised in the least to learn before long that many of our current beliefs are wrong.

By the way, I think you are trying to simply the effects of O2 on the body a but too much by lumping different effects together. The beneficial effects of breathing O2 on the surface is one effect. The toxic effect of O2 under pressure is another. The narcotic effect is yet another. The three may be totally unrelated, especially the narcotic effect. It almost seems as if you are thinking of them as different degrees of the same effect.

Just a little more on the apparently contradictory effects of oxygen.

Think of medications you might be taken. They have certain effects on certain parts of the body that are desirable, but they may have undesirable effects on other parts of the body. The different effects are entirely unrelated.

Another example is something like wine. People aren't sure why, but wine intake seems to have a beneficial affect on the body as a whole. It's effect on the liver is not beneficial, though. It has other negative effects. Thus, it is usually recommended that people use wine in moderation to maximize its benefits while minimizing the harmful effects it is having.

...But, do you notice the effects of being Narc'd before you do something insane? Have you ever experienced being narc'd? Can you help me settle my nerves about this craziness?

There are those that like to paint nitrogen narcosis as the boogie man. It's not. At least it doesn't lay-in-wait to pounce on a properly trained diver. That said, how it affects you isn't completely understood, or predictable. Your narcosis tolerance level may change from day-to-day.

Narcosis will affect everyone, on every day, usually starting at about 50 FSW. Every properly trained diver knows this before they get wet, so the diver is forewarned (no surprizes). Many divers do not feel that they are beginning to be impared at this depth (anymore than the average person may not realize that a partial glass of wine may adversely affect their judgement).

The trick is to know when to stop your descent and to limit the time you remain at depth. This comes with experience and takes time. If you are patient and increase your maximum depth incrimentally, you will learn to understand your "narcosis envelope." Alternatively, you can limit your depth with air to less than 50', or learn how to use Nitrox and Trimix and dive within the acceptable depth ranges.

The fact that you're concerned about it, heck, that you even know about it, make your chances of having to deal with it quite negligible. The people that run into problems with it are either stupid or have a macho complex that leads them to believe that it only happens to other people. Worrying, as long as it is not excessive or controlling, is a self-defense mechanism that keeps you sharp and helps you ensure that you do things right. Dive on!

To the comments about nitrox and narcosis from page 4:

I just took my Nitrox course and the PADI EAN book states that oxygen has the same potential narcosis effects as Nitrogen and so diving on EAN should be considered the same as diving on air for narcosis purposes.

I might get my first chance to experience it this weekend...I'll be watching out for it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom