Suggestion SCAMS on scuba diving equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Jake 10

Jake 10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A repository of links that are considered SCAMS on scuba diving equipment sales in order to help or alert other divers of possible fraudulent dealings. A place where SB users can search for (like phone numbers reported as robot-calls scams) information on reported "fraudulent" business. (i.e.; scubaprosale.com)

Thanks for reporting this member, multiple IP addresses including one in Nigeria, he's banned.

Everyone has to be aware that scammers exist and pop up every day and while we Mods in the backroom try to deal with this, it does help for our regular members to report what they think is a scam and we can take some action to deal with it.

There are only a few of us and we don't read every post or monitor every new member.

Very true, I've come across three in the past 24 hours and I believe two of them are the same person.
The irony? The only time I was scammed the bogus party on forum referred me to a person who's name I researched after I lost $70 to find out that the name was actually the name of a Nigerian sports hero....oh well, live and learn...could have been worst...sadly any purchase from "Classified" sections is a risk....

It doesn't have to be.
Ok...hope you are correct...how can anyone protect themselves from fraud when selling or buying on-line and specifically from the forum classifieds?

Ok...hope you are correct...how can anyone protect themselves from fraud when selling or buying on-line and specifically from the forum classifieds?
Buy from established members. Someone new? Hell, no. And pay via PayPal with the buyer protection, NOT friends and family. F&F is OK if you're buying something small, but something more expensive, you want that buyer protection.

Buy from established members. Someone new? Hell, no. And pay via PayPal with the buyer protection, NOT friends and family. F&F is OK if you're buying something small, but something more expensive, you want that buyer protection.
OK...got that...not certain how to determine an 'established member' is bonafide and legit...any suggestions welcomed...PayPal protection hopefully is solid if you don't use FF...thanks for input...

OK...got that...not certain how to determine an 'established member' is bonafide and legit...any suggestions welcomed...PayPal protection hopefully is solid if you don't use FF...thanks for input...
Number of posts, how long they've been a member, and if they've sold other stuff. Buy from a new member? Nope.

In today's case, the scammer told the user to contact someone at an email address. That's a hyuge red flag.

If they tell you they want to be paid with a gift card, a light bulb should go somewhere inside your cerebral cortex.

Scammer will ask you to trust them and to send $$$ for the item they are selling. Red Flag 🚩- the photo of the item is a brand marketing picture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom