SB'ers on Cozumel in JUNE '09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is anyone having concerns about being in Mexico in regards to this swine flu issue?

I haven't been concerned until today.

Not about going to Coz or Mexico specifically... More concerned with being in heavily populated, confined spaces at the airport and airplane. So if I have to fly, I'm concerned whether I'm going to Mexico or from Houston to San Antonio. I just hope all this end soon with least impact to all economies and livelihoods around the world.

Is anyone having concerns about being in Mexico in regards to this swine flu issue?

I haven't been concerned until today.

You should check out the respiratory illness thread...it has lots of concerns and points of view and information.

We will be in Coz from June 15th through June 23rd :yeahbaby:

Family of 6 celebrating my son's graduation. We are staying at the Villa Las Iguanas and I'm setting up the dives with Christi at Blue XT Sea.

I'm staying at Villablanca June 7-14 & diving with Scubamau. Swine flu permitting.

Sorry all... crazy week last week with all the news. Plus work kept getting in the way of things. :wink: So here is the latest. My first go at it, I was lazy and didn't change the background image from last time. I though it was worthy of a new and fresh background and an opportunity to showcase one of my better shots taken last May. Ugh... has it already been 1 year!?!?

June%2009%20SBers%20new.jpg

Note: the question marks next to your name indicate incomplete or missing details about where you're staying or diving with. If you would like to share that info, respond here and I'll update it accordingly.

Excellent graph driftinby. Can you update it for us in mid to late May?

Sorry, it's only for June SBer's who's trips may originate in late May or end in early July. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do it for every month except the months that I go. Now if someone would pay for me to go in May (or any other month), than I might be able to whip something together. I'm just saying... :D

I just returned from Cozumel yesterday after a week long stay at the Fiesta Americana. I was scrolling through and thought I would post a few experiences for those going in June. Hope it helps.

We stayed from April 26-May 3 at the Fiesta Americana and dove out of Dive House. Very nice operation. It's been awhile since I have been drift diving but the current was a quick reminder.

Dove morning dives Mon-Sat and night dives Mon and Wed night. Reefs were gorgeous and the marine life was plentiful, including 3 nurse sharks, 4 turtles, several lobsters, huge grouper, 2 octopus', multiple angel fish, and 2 sting rays. Also did the ship wreck. A nice penetration dive with several bail out points. It should be safe for OW and AOW divers. Just follow the fins in front of you :) The DMs would stop and turn to point things out which was kind of annoying after the 2nd day to fight the current to see what he was pointing at, only to be exhausted afterwards. We told him to just swim straight and we see what we see :). Turns out that worked best for all involved. Nice crew. Very helpful. They get geared up quickly and get in the water quickly so make sure you do your pre-dive checks early. They gave plenty of water but no fruit. Seemed odd at the time.

We were already there when the swine flu issue developed. It wasn't a problem in Cozumel. They did stop the ferry between Cozumel and Cancun for a day, but I am not sure if that was swine flu related. It was business as usual on the island. There were fewer and fewer people there as the days went on. I heard it was due to the cruise ships avoiding the area and not many new people arriving to replacing the ones who were departing. We had no issues there however and enjoyed 6 days of gorgeous diving with a minimum water temp of 73 on a night dive and an average temp of 79 during the day dives. The sun was hot with not much of a breeze so dress appropriately. We met wonderful people on the boat and all enjoyed a fantastic trip!! If you have never been it will be a wonderful new experience with marine life as far as the eye can see in 100+ visibility; if you are returning then it will be as gorgeous as you remember.

I hope you guys have a fantastic time!!

June 12th through the 22nd for me. Staying at Villablanca.

Back
Top Bottom