Trip Report Impressions on an Old-timers Return to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven’t stayed at Blue Angel since 2014 but we stayed there quite a few times before landing at our current place downtown. After our first stay at BA we always requested a ground floor room and were always given one. In fact our first ground floor room was 103 and after that we specifically asked for 103 and was granted that room. It was nice to be in a familiar room and not to have to have to climb stairs. It wasn’t perfect and had some bathroom tile issues but with the prices and being right on the water we were happy. I think they usually accommodate room requests if possible.

Thanks for the trip report. It’s nice to hear the good and the bad.

I am surprised that you had problems with the bed and furniture. Was the owner on site? Do you talk with her?
Beats me. We were never introduced to anyone as being the owner.

The time to resolve substandard rooms though is really on day 1.
My wife did talk about it to someone, but I was not in the conversation, and she is usually much better at these things than I.

I have had second thoughts about my comments on the extended times diving over nothing of interest.

We had two divemasters while we were there. The first led us for three days before getting sick and being replaced. There was a difference, and that may well explain our problems.

What I described about the other couple having to go up about a half hour before the rest of us and the DM shooting the bag for them and then holding that bag the rest of the way describes only the first DM. Looking back at it, those were the only dives where I had the problem. Looking back, I think the DM was constrained by the fact that he was holding the bag for a half hour. He was obviously limited as to where he could go.

On the fourth day, the new DM used a different strategy. He carried two DSMBs and reels. When the other couple needed to head for the surface, he gave them one of them and kept the other for the rest of the group later. He thus had nothing constraining him from exploring the remaining reef structures.

That is not a perfect explanation. We had some drifts on the first day over sand where the presence of the reel and DSMB had no effect whatsoever.

Beats me. We were never introduced to anyone as being the owner.
She is a lovely younger lady named Eva. You might still want to contact her to discuss your disappointments. I haven't stayed there in several years, since their prices went up dramatically, but I never had a bad bed or furniture - and at their current rates, you shouldn't have either.

Just FYI: Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease did hit pretty hard here, I think you didn't notice it is a much because a lot of the dead coral from SCTLD has been overgrown with other things (sometimes just algae, but sometimes things more pleasant to look at) . When SCTLD first arrived a few years ago it was hard to miss. Seems like some dead coral is now home to sponges, but I just haven't paid as much attention to exactly what came back-- bottom line is I know SCTLD hit us hard and I also know it seems to be a little less obvious now. Would be interested in other thoughts

I thought I’d read in here that Aldora was always known for keeping all divers together and everyone going up at the same time. Maybe some changes?

I thought I’d read in here that Aldora was always known for keeping all divers together and everyone going up at the same time.
Yes, I remember that, too. It was a contentious topic on ScubaBoard some years back. Some people favor the practice, arguing that having the whole group come up together is the safest practice and with big steel tanks dive times should still be quite good, even if limited by the biggest 'air hog' in the group. Aldora was said to bring the whole group up together.

Some people prefer the guide sending people up in buddy pairs (sometimes even singly), arguing this is plenty safe enough when conditions are benign and prevents the biggest air hog from cutting other people's dive short. Some people view getting back on the boat with a bunch of air left in their tank as not getting all they paid for.

An argument can be made for either practice. Some people cared enough about it to influence which dive op. they chose.

Just FYI: Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease did hit pretty hard here, I think you didn't notice it is a much because a lot of the dead coral from SCTLD has been overgrown with other things (sometimes just algae, but sometimes things more pleasant to look at) . When SCTLD first arrived a few years ago it was hard to miss. Seems like some dead coral is now home to sponges, but I just haven't paid as much attention to exactly what came back-- bottom line is I know SCTLD hit us hard and I also know it seems to be a little less obvious now. Would be interested in other thoughts
Same observation here in the Keys.The coral now has other types of growth

The Devil’s Throat looked very different from what I remembered. I had to check my logbook to see if I had visited it after Hurricane Wilma, and I had, so that could not be the reason

I also did not remember having a choice of exits @ Devils Throat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom