Save Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am thinking of coming but I will have to drive from the Jacksonville area. Is anyone camping Friday night or Saturday night?

Although we were thinking of camping, i think the recent change in our family might force us to just go for the day, if at all - we'll see. I'll check with some folks around here as we also have to haul down to WPB that evening as well.

Can any of you guys bring a dive light? I know we are basically there to work but I would like to go into the cavern for a few minutes...I haven't been before.

scubafire:
Can any of you guys bring a dive light? I know we are basically there to work but I would like to go into the cavern for a few minutes...I haven't been before.
If you want to go in the cavern, take two lights, one as your main, the other as a backup. I am sure plenty of folks want to make the most of their day at Ginnie and dive beyond the cleanup time. You might be best served grabbing a reasonable light and a small back up from your LDS or if not then Ginnie or Cave Excursions (just west of Ginnie by about 4 miles) sells a bunch of them. The lights will serve you well on all kinds of trips for looking under ledges or in port holes of wrecks and the like.

GOOD news- having spoken with Cathy at Ginnie, she stated that admission and air fills are waived for those involved in the cleanup and signed in until noon. I imagine, after that, you pay for air fills, not sure about diving. She also said they provide canoes for the cleanup to load trash into.

Now for the BAD news-This is my third day out of work due to a viral infection. Without being graphic about this week, let's just say the stomach cramps and regulator retainment may be an issue. The water might get CLOUDY in BAD ways!

Then again, if I can get the fool downstream,... :wink:

It looks like I am out of action for this weekend. I WILL speak with Ginnie about adding a river cleanup to our agenda for the next April Megadive.

DEEPSEAWOLF:
Now for the BAD news-This is my third day out of work due to a viral infection. Without being graphic about this week, let's just say the stomach cramps and regulator retainment may be an issue. The water might get CLOUDY in BAD ways!

Then again, if I can get the fool downstream,... :wink:

It looks like I am out of action for this weekend. I WILL speak with Ginnie about adding a river cleanup to our agenda for the next April Megadive.

I really appreciate all you have done to help. You have been a blessing. I hope you feel better. (Possibly lay off all that rum):wink:

Thanks everyone for coming out.
Just out of curiosity...how many cleanup dives did you guys do today? I only did one because I thought that was all we were doing and I didn't see anyone after the first one....hope I didn't skip out.

I do believe that there was only one cleanup dive. Gary was teaching a class, and I saw the Fish & Game officer leaving around 2 PM. BTW, Ginnie staff put a bug in his ear concerning the cleanup dive, so the officer came to keep any motor boaters under control and at idle speed. He also seemed very supportive of what we were doing. Cleanups like this give us as divers the kind of positive image that we need, and I appreciate everyone showing up to help out.

One of the high points of the day for me was when, as I was emptying the last bag of trash on shore, a guy came up, clapped his hand on my shoulder, and thanked me for what we had done. While I think we all agree that we didn't do more than make a dent in what is actually down there, it is as this fellow said " Every bottle that we pick up is one less that is there."

Once again, thanks to everyone, we made a difference, in more ways than one.

Great job to everyone that showed up. I had several people thank me for what we were doing. I also saw people actually empty their trash in the dumpster instead of the river. It's sad to say that all that trash we picked up didn't even make a dent but it is true. I took some pictures of what it looks like on the bottom and will post as soon as I can.
back40

This was an event that needs to be repeated.....often. If enough people topside see what we are doing then maybe word will get around.

Even had a family in tubes picking up stuff in the shallows after seeing what we were doing. They were really surprised what was on the bottom once they looked.

Excellent day folks...Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom