Saturday, May 16th, The Sheridan, Capt. Ty & TwistedArts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again to all for your help, generosity and just being great crew!

I enjoyed both the new faces and the familiar ones.

See ya soon!

Nice wrecks video Jim!

I hate to break it to you guys, but that's not the Blackthorn.

It's been a few years since I've crossed over to that wreck, and from the video it's crumbled up quite a bit... that's the Seafood Barge, about a 1.5 minute swim NW of the Blackthorn. The barge is completely upright, lies almost east - west and is right next to a rather dead looking ledge.

The Blackthorn is laying hard on it's port side and broken into 3 main sections, with a lot of debris field out to the east. The bow is south and the stern north. Here's an illustration of the 3 wrecks on the site.
Florida Skin Diver

You had a great dive trip, that's all that matters, and the Seafood Barge looks much more interesting with so much light beaming in through the deck.

Capt Chad

Last edited:
Just wanted to throw out a MAJOR Thank You to MissD for putting this trip together! It was a total gas!! You could not ask for a more beautiful day. Capt. TY was a true gentleman!! I cannot recommend his boat and services enough!! I have never been that seasick and he did his best (as well as everyone else) to help make it better. Again he is the BEST!! Jim you were a great buddy!! And the video was awesome! It was a great time and fantastic group of people and I can't wait to get back to NY and brag about you all!! (the vid will help). Thank you Tampa SB'ers, I look forward to my next trip to dive with you at ITK!!!!

:lotsalove: :lotsalove: :lotsalove: :lotsalove: :lotsalove:

Jim that video was awesome! :thumbs-up Fantastic editing and I have to admit it made me laugh as well. :D Oddly, I still like ya :winky:

Everyone, thank you for such a fantastic day! I'll post some pics later of the eagle rays but the video is way better by far (so glad you followed me Jim - the vid is definitely a treat).

And Jack thanks for my DNY T it fits rather nicely. :cool2: Please don't forget to give Sam and John my hugs. :)

great video Jim thanks for posting and thanks to everyone yesterday for an unforgetable trip.It was nice to meet a couple new buddies and always nice to see old ones and get some diving in.I also got one Hog about 14"at the end of the second dive and thanks Tracy for the snapper he is going to be good,also thanks for pointing out to me that my gun was on it's way down :doh2:during our safety stop and thank God I had enough air to retrive it.
Miss D, don't forget July 1st Hernando Beach for some scallops we will get out one of three ways Mom's boat,Jet Ski,or yaks,I prefer one of the fist two but I will Take what I can get. Maybe we can get a few more peeps to join in.
Thanks agian everyone especially to Capt.Ty for an awesome day.:D

We'd have definitely been going back for the gun had you not gotten it... No way was that staying down there. :no:

I am sooooo up for the scalloping thing. I know several that would be keen on joining. Just let me know what is decided and we will get it sorted. :)

Capt. Ty :hugs:

So about this ledge Brian and Johnny....:eyebrow::popcorn:

Thanks to Jim for the vid. I am looking forward to getting some Tampa bay diving in. That video got me stoked!!

Hope to meet you all in person soon.

Tight Lines,
Javy

Salmonboy97,

At the Tampa boat show this weekend I was showing a video that I shot about 12 years ago, on the Blackthorn and Sheridan. Comparing Jim's video, it appears that the Sheridan has listed a noticeable amount more to starboard. I last dove the wreck in 2007 and it didn't seem much different, but gradual changes can be little noticed. I hope she doesn't roll. (I had eagle rays in my video too, but it's not really all that common.)

You should hit these wrecks this summer, you're missing a couple of the best dives on the west coast!
Jan 28th is the 30th anniversary of the Blackthorn accident. Here's the whole Blackthorn story, printed in the St Pete Times for the 20th anniversary. Including photos before and after & illustrations of how the accident occurred.
Worldandnation: Three minutes that rocked Coast Guard

I researched my dive log for an U/W story I'm writing on the Blackthorn, and found I've dove her 40 times.

Need to make that 41 real soon, and take more photos and video!

Chad

Last edited:
You'll have to excuse the picture quality. The camera I'm using now only shoots in jpeg so essentially you get what it decides to take in and give you but at least there are pics :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom