Sandwich Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding Germany: Contact Axel Früh at Tauchcenter Freiburg in the South or Martin Zeschke in the North.
Not the only ones, but certainly the best around.

The two are instructors for the Razor. That's not really what Toby was looking for or asking about, nor what I would consider a good option for cold water diving (as is to be expected in Europe).

And when you say "the best around", what is that opinion based on? I would certainly object.

Whoops, wrong thread. Ignore

The two are instructors for the Razor. That's not really what Toby was looking for or asking about, nor what I would consider a good option for cold water diving (as is to be expected in Europe).

And when you say "the best around", what is that opinion based on? I would certainly object.
Please dont worry I know plenty of folk who teach sidemount. The enquiry was about successfully configuring a sandwich system from wing and a pair of backplates. Thanks.

Let me quote him for you:
...Think I will look again at the ready mades. I dive a lot with people who use them, seems to be a good excuse to play with bungy cord from what Ive seen :)
And when you say "the best around", what is that opinion based on?
Personal opinion mostly. Saw Axel in his own basic training.
Don't know Martin in the water at all, but I think if he could convince Steve and HP of his abilities, I am not in a position to argue.

Axel has been certifying sidemount instructors for years before that.
Martin was recommended to me once as a competent instructor before he even started sidemount as far as I know.

I would certainly object.
You would say that, wouldn't you?
On what basis however?

Please dont worry I know plenty of folk who teach sidemount. The enquiry was about successfully configuring a sandwich system from wing and a pair of backplates. Thanks.
My recommendation wasn't about teaching, but about people knowledgeable in the different equipment and training options in the general area.

On what basis however?

You were generalizing and saying the two instructors are "the best around".
Yet you've not even met one of them and that recommendation is based entirely on someone telling you he is competent? WTH?
And they are the best for what exactly? Surely not for the sandwiched Toddy style discussed in this thread?
I would say the best for that is maybe Toddy himself, or at least another instructor with a ton of practical experience in those rigs, preferably diving on a technical or cave level.

And while we're at it, how many instructors in Germany have you actually met or seen that you can actually call someone "the best around"?
I know tons of SM instructors in Europe that you will never meet in or near any body of water, simply because of where you do and do not dive. Think out of your box Daniel....

You were generalizing and saying the two instructors are "the best around".
Yet you've not even met one of them and that recommendation is based entirely on someone telling you he is competent? WTH?
And they are the best for what exactly? Surely not for the sandwiched Toddy style discussed in this thread?
I would say the best for that is maybe Toddy himself, or at least another instructor with a ton of practical experience in those rigs, preferably diving on a technical or cave level.

And while we're at it, how many instructors in Germany have you actually met or seen that you can actually call someone "the best around"?
I know tons of SM instructors in Europe that you will never meet in or near any body of water, simply because of where you do and do not dive. Think out of your duck pond Daniel....

I fixed it for you Oliver.

Sidemount competence isn't a question of 'style', nakatomi , bamafan.

I recomended those two because of broad knowledge, good contacts, experience, etc...certified and proven to the satisfaction of someone who really provably knows and nobody needs to vouch for anymore.

toby43 said he wanted to look into the ready made systems again, those two are the names to recommend for that.

Regarding Toddy: he is in Sardinia and there are already a lot more Toddy system divers in Europe than Toddy can offer training hours himself.

I believe I have met most of the local 'modern type' Sidemount instructors with more than beginner's experience, talked to most of the remaining ones.
How many are in your 'box'?

And no, I would not call people 'instructors' who preferably throw experienced cavedivers into the water with badly set-up Hollis rigs to squeeze through some restriction or juggle tanks for half an hour - some things I have seen those so called 'instructors' do I hardly consider to be diving at all.

I have met a lot of people trained by instructors like that and understand quite well why it needed Steve's videos first for anyone to show an interest in sidemount diving and before anyone thought it appropriate to use equipment like that outside extrem restrictions.

I have met a lot of people trained by instructors like that and understand quite well why it needed Steve's videos first for anyone to show an interest in sidemount diving and before anyone thought it appropriate to use equipment like that outside extrem restrictions.

Are you implying that no one was diving sidemount outside of extreme cave exploration prior to Bogaerts YouTube videos?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom