Sandwich Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If someone did use sidemount in open water before Steve Bogaerts nobody knew about it.
Steve himself is using it for 'extreme cave exploration' he doesn't count.
Lamar always marketed to cave divers, judged by his videos he seems never to have thought about open water applications except cavern.

Steve Martin more or less 'pioneered' worldwide sidemount adoption outside caves, in my opinion.
And instructors without challenging caves close by like Andy Davis, Garry Dallas and Tom Steiner took it forward from that point in the last few years only.

Steve Martin more or less 'pioneered' worldwide sidemount adoption outside caves, in my opinion.
And instructors without challenging caves close by like Andy Davis, Garry Dallas and Tom Steiner took it forward from that point in the last few years only.

Garry has been diving sidemount for the same amount of time as Steve Martin, if not for longer... Same for Diving caves...

Garry has been diving sidemount for the same amount of time as Steve Martin, if not for longer... Same for Diving caves...
But he was more 'quiet' about it until quite recently :wink:

If someone did use sidemount in open water before Steve Bogaerts nobody knew about it.
Steve himself is using it for 'extreme cave exploration' he doesn't count.
Lamar always marketed to cave divers, judged by his videos he seems never to have thought about open water applications except cavern.

What's your source? How long have been diving?
How do you know 'nobody knew'?

Not really, he just primarily did U.K. stuff, known for years.
The sidemount users before where and are quiet, if you take Garry Dallas as an example people primarily know him as a Diamond user (Apeks today), the Diamond exists only since 2011/12.

Steve Martin was also known before, but no comparison to his fame today.

Last edited:
Toddy was one of the first to go public with interviews explaining how to use his system in an open water situation.
Here in Germany he became known at the same time as Steve.
He went public in my opinion because he was one of the few who already had a working system, when the current sidemount craze started and did not have to 'steal' ideas like most of the others.

The sidemount users before where and are quiet, if you take Garry Dallas as an example people primarily know him as a Diamond user (Apeks today), the Diamond exists only since 2011/12.

Steve Martin was also known before, but no comparison to his fame today.

And if you've known Garry and the scene in the U.K. for years then you'll know he's "primarily" known for his hair, height and very, very high standard of training. He's used a plethora of rigs over the years, not limited to a homemade harness predating the razor, both the razor harness and following full package system, a modified version, SMS100, Stealth, Halcyon Contour and the list goes on.

Maybe YOU primarily know him as a Diamond user but... That's just you.

Last edited:
No, he was and is recommended to me as a Diamond expert (since I often dive with people using Diamonds, I also get some of 'their' recommendations ...) , because his videos with it where exceptionally impressive, I think.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom