Sandwich Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toby43

Contributor
Reaction score
Asking for help from anyone who has successfully set up and used a sandwich sidemount system and would be happy to share their experience? Any words or pictures would be great.

My knees are giving out lugging steel 12s on my back to access cave sites and thought I would try using a couple of backplates and a BCD and give it go. I know this system is popular in Germany and DTD even sells a dedicated sandwich sidemount outfit online. I have one steel BP, one aly BP, a couple of Apeks one piece harnesses and 45lb Hollis donut wing. Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks

Here is the guy who came up with this 'toddy-style' explaining his system. There're using the a sandwich system.
I wouldn't use is I a cave though. The back plate doesn't really help you with anything other than increasing your chances of getting stuck maybe.
If you wanna start sidemounting I'd get a proper rig, it won't be more expensive since you would have to buy stuff for the sandwich also.

Last edited:
what bennno said. What you are referring to is called Toddy-Style after their instructor, and I would never really use it. Sell your existing equipment, and buy a sidemount rig. You can get some of them for not a whole lot of money and they work much better... Your profile says BSAC training, so you don't have easy access to all of the used rigs here, but check ebay and your local dive forums for a used Nomad or SMS100, they usually aren't all that expensive and work perfectly OK for most divers. Not the best, but with some easy modifications they are quite good

Thanks both, thats very helpful. Looks like even with the sandwich there is some extra cost involved which mitigates against this route versus buying a separate dedicated platform.

The wing Tody is showing there is somewhat of a new development.
He/they used selected off-the-shelf wings for years and most will still use those.

But yes, a Toddy will be as expensive as any sidemount system for most people, only a few lucky one have exactly the right backplates and wings at home.

It is more of an concept decision.
Compared to a Hollis SMS100 or 75 I do not see a single disadvantage and a lot of advantages of building your own sandwich.

Buying a simple sidemount harness or jacket can be expensive too, but you do not have to modify your other BCD-equipment at all, easier to sell on eb*y. :wink:

Compared to a Hollis SMS100 or 75 I do not see a single disadvantage and a lot of advantages of building your own sandwich.
Have you used he SMS75, Razorista? Have you used any of those systems you mentioned?

what bennno said. What you are referring to is called Toddy-Style after their instructor, and I would never really use it. Sell your existing equipment, and buy a sidemount rig. You can get some of them for not a whole lot of money and they work much better... Your profile says BSAC training, so you don't have easy access to all of the used rigs here, but check ebay and your local dive forums for a used Nomad or SMS100, they usually aren't all that expensive and work perfectly OK for most divers. Not the best, but with some easy modifications they are quite good

Should add normally use steel tanks, 50/50 wet/dry. Am actually in Germany rather than the UK.

If you are in Germany @toby43, head over to facebook and join the groups there.
The UK and Malta sidemounters are active in the English language groups, Toddy users in the German speaking group(s).
I think we have got most ends covered nowadays, you will find someone to share experience with close by.

I just asked whether you have used the rigs you're talking about. It's a normal question.
So, have you used any of the rigs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom