San MArcos River Clean Up Trashure Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman:
Ha ha, if you think it looks ugly now, you should have seen it last year, or the year before. :wink: We're busy as bees cleaning all the introduced invasive plants out, which took the place over decades ago. It might have been "prettier" once, but it sure wasn't natural. All that "funk" is submerged vegetation that grows to the surface and then stops... mostly. When the theme park owned the place, they artificially "mowed" the grass down to make it look more appealing. More fakery.

FYI, most of the snails in the Comal and San Marcos aren't native either, nor are many of the plants. Through some amazing luck, the snails at Aquarena are still mostly all local, probably 'cuz they're upstream and protected by a spillway. The snails will probably be put on a protected list soon.

Archman I knew I would get a rise outta you. Yeah Yeah Yeah. You should have seen it 30 years ago it was deep and clear (in the river).

BTW I was with Eric Peterson yesterday and we were showing some kids the old film that he and Ron Coley made 30 yrs ago at the river 'River Innocence' have you seen it? Brought back some great memories of running around with those guys and sneaking in the springs at night. Now Ron is the Director at Aquarena and Eric teaches the scientific course out there when he's not working for SSI. Those were some good times at the river.

Figured I'd tell this story since yall are having a treasure hunt. When I was in 6th grade I went down to sanmarcos with my boyscout group to go snorkeling. While we were underneath Joes crabshack I found a gold bracelet with 11 perfect dimonds in it tangled in some stuff under the waterfall. Being a good boyscout we asked around, at joes and stuff if there were any reports of people losing anything, our attempts came up empty so... finders keepers. At least for a little bit anyhow, when I got home my mother took the braclet and said I couldn't pawn it, which is a shame because I got it apraised at $1700, and kept it as a 'family heirloom' to give to my children in the future. Oh well, happy hunting.

Also the same weekend yall are having this Texas State is hosting an Ultimate Frisbee tournament called River Fest which is supposed to be right down by the water, hopefully we won't get in each other's way. If anybody's wondering what Ultimate Frisbee is, it's the coolest sport in the world and I suggest you watch a couple games. Check it out at www.upa.org

parrotheaddiver:
Most of the information has been covered in this thread. Just show up, sign up, and dive. If you have specific questions please post them and we will try and answer them. Time underwater...well it is not a deep river we spent about 1 1/2 hrs above and below the surface in the river. One tank should do it. You can keep what you find but beer cans and paper and stuff is not high on the "keeper" list. Last year someone in our group found a full corked bottle of wine. Mostly you find shoes,sunglasses,clothing, towels and plenty of beer cans. Be sure you bring GLOVES.

High on the 'keeper' list are the prizes they give away after the BBQ. :wink:

I'm still looking for a single false tooth. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB.

How far downriver will the cleanup go? The pool above I35 could stand a good effort and the wild ride (current around 4 knots) really doesn't get you until you are well past the pool and under the bridge.

awap:
I'm still looking for a single false tooth. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB.

How far downriver will the cleanup go? The pool above I35 could stand a good effort and the wild ride (current around 4 knots) really doesn't get you until you are well past the pool and under the bridge.

The cleanup stops at Rio Vista Park where the dam is, They will have a shuttle service there to take you back to City Park. If your car/truck is elsewhere you will need to cruise back down the river until you reach it.

I would love to attend. Can you give me more info on were to meet and so on.
Do we need to bring a dive buddy, because I don't have one.

Jess

I would love to attend do you have more info on were to meet and if I need to find a dive buddy?

Jess

Phazeshyft:
April 2nd in San Marcos "The Dive Shop" http://www.divesanmarcos.com/
is hosting their River Clean up Trashure Hunt once again.

I attended this last year for my first time and it was a blast. Their is nothing
like drifting down a crystal clear river, and FOR FREE. not only that but that feed you as well. The Dive Shop hosts this every year in order to clean up the river before the season really gets going.

So whats in it for us?

Free Food, Free Diving, Free Prizes (kinda redundant huh?), and a hellavuh good time.

Last year one person in our group one a New Ruglator Bag, I won a technical diving video, and one person won a Brand new Regulator.

We are looking forward to it again.

Remmber April 2nd, i will post more info as i get it.

I think you just need to sign in as one of the Texas Swamp divers and we can dive as a group.

I'm sure there will be others there that arrive w/o a buddy. Myself included since my buddy my have to back out due to work.

Hope to see ya there.

I'll be attending too. My kids might also be there, not sure if they will be diving or not. If I am not on call I will be staying over night. Maybe camping. Is there camping around?

Froglady:
I'll be attending too. My kids might also be there, not sure if they will be diving or not. If I am not on call I will be staying over night. Maybe camping. Is there camping around?

Froglady, I put a link in another post on the second page about for Leisure Park campground. I am pretty sure they have regular camping as well as a place for RV's.

If they don't want to dive they can always help pick up trash along the bank all though I don't think that would be much fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom