San MArcos River Clean Up Trashure Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last year we got there about 8:30am. there were already a lot of people signing up. When you sign up they want your name and the group you are going to be diving with Texas Swamp Divers.

They will start a list when the group begins to arrive just put your name on the list. They will want a group leader last year we voted Phazeshyft as our fearless leader.

Around 9:00am Don Dibble (lds owner) will put numbers in a hat. They have a drawing of the river propped up on a table, and it is marked off by numbers. The leader of each group draws a number and that is the part of the river you get. You then get your group together and drive to your section of the river.

If you want to dive the length of the river, they will provide a shuttle to bring you back to the park. Last year after we did our cleanup a few of the group when up by the falls at Joe's Crabshack and dove down to the pickup point it will probably take you about 45 minutes or so.

Around 1:00 or 2:00 depending on when everyone gets back. they serve a BBQ lunch. After lunch they draw tickets for prizes. You will get a ticket when you sign up be sure you hang on to your ticket stub my husband lost his last year. It was over by about 4:00pm last year

BTW eat a hearty breakfast or bring snacks, man I was hungry by 1:00.

Michael Freeman:
Thanks for the info., I plan to be there.

If your Driving, I am calling shotgun!

Well, as long as my eye doctor says it is okay (just had Lasik done in January), My ear becomes unclogged, Work doesn't try to make me work that weekend, and the wifey says it is okay, Im good to go!

Burleigh

WOW, man i just mentioned it so i wouldnt forget but man has Parrothead given you everything you need yet?

Thanks so much and i hope you can make it. it was really fun diving with ya'll last year. I may have to some knee time begging my wife to let me go. I am actually going to the Round Rock Express exhibition game witht he Houston Astros the night before the dive. If you want to drive down on friday go to the game (6:05pm) i will be tailgating it starting around 1pm. Then we can hang out till saturday morning. I am going to try to get there early but since my truck was totalled this past saturday feb/26 It might be iffy. unless Fixxerv16 comes down and picks me up. I will make some pepperoni rolls if he will.

I hope everyone can make it. and safely, the water is int he 70 year round so a light suit should be fine.

Bring breakfast, but lunch is provided.

Parrothead gave the directions so you cant get lost.

I am going to have my own pop-up canopy with a big Swamdiver sign on it so we can all meet up together.

ill send a pic so you know what to look for
a month away is not TOO SOON to plan, its to late to hesitate.

by the way, photos from last year are posted in my gallery

Okay, THIS year I really do have a valid excuse for missing you folks. I got my eyes lazed up, and the docs are keeping me dry till April. I do not make it a habit of flaking out of every swamper function... one of these days I will actually attend ONE. Probably. Maybe. :wink:

Using Parrotheaddiver's directions, here's a map to the Lions Club location.... #2 is Bobcat Stadium and #3 is the City Park Lion's Club. Sorry it's so big but I wanted you to be able to read the street names.

Lions_Club.jpg

Yes that is a good map Dee. Just the one minor change to the name of the street. It has been changed from Bobcat Dr. to CHARLES AUSTIN. He is from San Marcos and was in the olympics a few years back. I guess the city thought it was the least they could do for an olympian.

I wondered about that. Since it was on the only street you could turn left on I figured it was right. The change must have been recent, My Street and Trips program is the current version.

I have to get permission from the woman of the house as well, I don't want to miss it.

Some more info on the Hotels....

From my research for a double room with 2 adults...

Red Roof Inn....$120.99 + tax
Rodeway Inn...$79 + tax
Microtel Inn...no rooms available but very poor reports
Best Western....$79 + tax
Southwest Motor Inn....couldn't find it online in initial search
Days Inn....$64, $60 for over 50... + tax

There are about a dozen others listed but I'm assuming they are all in the $65-79 range.
I made reservations at Days Inn. Not only because of the price and location but they were the nicest people on the phone. Plus we've had good experiences with other Days Inns in the past. We're driving in on Friday night.

Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom