San Diego recommendations for 1 day dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YukonJack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to be in San Diego in two weeks and have been thinking of staying Friday to do a three tank dive, and then fly home on Saturday afternoon. Can anyone recommend a good dive company that guides trips in San Diego?

I'm going to be in San Diego in two weeks and have been thinking of staying Friday to do a three tank dive, and then fly home on Saturday afternoon. Can anyone recommend a good dive company that guides trips in San Diego?
I visit and dive San Diego relatively frequently. I have used Marissa, Waterhorse, and Lois Ann, all good. They do not routinely guide dives. Check their schedules online. Good luck, enjoy your dives.

I did a one-day trip to Los Coronados with Waterhorse when in San Diego in March 2016. Not many fish, but the sea lions were a blast. No guides, but you didn't really need one at that site. I'd recommend Waterhorse without hesitation.

If you dive in California stay far away from where they're fighting fires, otherwise you might get scooped up when they're grabbing buckets of water in the firefighting planes and you'll find yourself dropped on top of a flaming tree.

Waterhorse (the boat is the Humboldt) is doing a 3 tank to the Coronados Islands Friday the 27th if that's your last day there. Waterhorse Charters - Charter Boat Schedule

The sea lions are a lot of fun, usually they'll be waiting in the water for you. I have read that some Kelp may have returned to the area this year - el Nina plus the Mexican govt. allowing fishing there decimated it a decade ago.

You'll need to bring enough ID for a day visa - they do it on the boat - since 1/2 is in Mexico.

Other boat options are listed at the bottom of this page but the previous poster mentioned the most likely ones.
California Dive Boats : The Official Page

As mentioned, these are not DM-led dives, they stay on the boat mostly - sometimes they dive first to check conditions/set the mooring. All should have guides available for a fee when you call.

Thanks everyone! I signed up with Water Horse for the Coronado Islands three tanker. Should be a blast! Thanks for the recommendations and the tips.

Thanks everyone! I signed up with Water Horse for the Coronado Islands three tanker. Should be a blast! Thanks for the recommendations and the tips.
If you have time lo Jolla cove is good with alot of seals to see.

Can you recommend a dive company? Water Horse has a problem with their boat and just cancelled on me :(
Marissa or Lois Ann, both have schedules online. Looks like Marissa has a nice 3 tanker on the 27th. Nothing on the Lois Ann calendar, looks like they may be away at that time. Marissa is quite good, I've been out with them many times. Tell Lora that Craig from Philadelphia sent you, she may remember me, haven't been to San Diego for awhile.

Marissa is your only other choice if Lois Ann is out also. Horizon and Islander do multi-day charters and are probably GWS diving off Guadalupe this month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom