Safest locales for diving around the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah. I’m just not familiar with the sub-surface (particularly of the surrounding ocean) as I would like to be. I was on the PADI site and they said Japan was second only to the USA in number of certified scuba divers. And we have almost 3 times as many people.

I got certified by these guys, great crew, instructors, head guy Doug also instructs Tech when I was there in 2010. EXPLORING THE UNDERWATER WONDERS OF OKINAWA. There are many dive sites you can do from Shore and don't really need a boat if you don't want to. But definitely go to the Karamas once.

I got certified by these guys, great crew, instructors, head guy Doug also instructs Tech when I was there in 2010. EXPLORING THE UNDERWATER WONDERS OF OKINAWA. There are many dive sites you can do from Shore and don't really need a boat if you don't want to. But definitely go to the Karamas once.
Thanks for that! I’ve looked around for a liveaboard but can’t find anything. Seems like the place is made for liveaboard diving.

Few things I forgot to mention about Nova Scotia (unlike the US East Coast)-- You are also safe from:
--lifeguards that prohibit diving.
--trying to find a place to park close to the water.
--trying to find a legal place to park close to the water.
--trying to find a place to park where you don't need a local resident sticker (see Long Island)
--trying to find a place to park anywhere.
--paying like $10 to enter a State Park.
--paying like $20 as a non-resident to enter a State Park.
--paying like $30 (yes!) as a non-resident to enter a County/local park (see Connecticut).
--worrying about collecting a shell in a State Park.
--people constantly asking you if you are leaving so they can get your parking space in a state park. People hanging around for your spot when you tell them you'll be maybe 45 minutes putting your equipment away. Having to then give up and just telling them "No, I'll be here the whole day" in order to avoid them ogling your car while you try to get changed in it.
--towing a dive flag unless you yourself think it's necessary.
--incredible traffic.
--crowds.

Thanks for that! I’ve looked around for a liveaboard but can’t find anything. Seems like the place is made for liveaboard diving.

The islands are all volcanic so the vis is amazing, Maybe there arent any liveaboards going there due to it isn't a well known destination.

I have to agree with this. BC has AMAZING diving... zero political unrest; outside of Vancouver is it very VERY safe.

Go to British Columbia. The diving is great and you'll be safe there.

R..
Do you require a dry suit when you dive there?

Do you require a dry suit when you dive there?

I would say, "yes".

Ocean temperatures in the summer may get above 12C and in the winter as low as 8C. Locally they can be higher or lower. If you want to be comfortable diving there then I would recommend a drysuit.

R..

I would say, "yes".

Ocean temperatures in the summer may get above 12C and in the winter as low as 8C. Locally they can be higher or lower. If you want to be comfortable diving there then I would recommend a drysuit.

R..
In the three months of late summer to early fall in NJ I usually wear a 5mm suit over a silky lycra skin. Totally comfortable without a hood or booties, above the thermocline. Lots of tropical reef fishes to see on shallow dives, and no on-street parking problems on weekdays or anytime after Labor Day. Are conditions comparable in British Columbia?

In the three months of late summer to early fall in NJ I usually wear a 5mm suit over a silky lycra skin. Totally comfortable without a hood or booties, above the thermocline. Lots of tropical reef fishes to see on shallow dives, and no on-street parking problems on weekdays or anytime after Labor Day. Are conditions comparable in British Columbia?
Other than the tropical fish, thermoclines, 5mm suit without hood or booties, there is little difference. :)

BC is my favorite place to dive. The amount of life on some walls rivals the South Pacific, and the topside beauty is fantastic.

26987152947_43edc6cf39_b.jpg

Some of the locals are a bit crazy, but generally friendly

40956628605_fd3e26130f_b.jpg

No parking issues, but it's really the marine life that keeps me coming back every year.

40956630855_8a20f8e32c_b.jpg

27986841728_e44f2902e6_b.jpg

41138269174_b9291272ef_b.jpg

41893637741_ffcba3e969_b.jpg

27390315077_65bc90f500_b.jpg

Octopus and metridiums.jpg

Giant Pacific Octopus, Enteroctopus dofleini.jpg

No. In British Columbia you wear a 5mm suit over a silky lycra skin on BSDM Tinder dates.

For scuba diving you need a dry suit.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom