Safest locales for diving around the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. In British Columbia you wear a 5mm suit over a silky lycra skin on BSDM Tinder dates.

For scuba diving you need a dry suit.

R..
BSDM = bund deutscher madchen?

I do a fair bit of traveling and diving in the NY area (mostly CT), and the North Gulf of Mexico--maybe 3-5 months out of the year on average. I've been doing that for almost 20 years and before that maybe 2 months per year back to when I left the US in 1977. Have to say I don't really notice any more or less safety concerns in all those years. Like any country, it depends on where you go. A good example would be some parts of NYC vs. maybe the farmlands of Iowa.
I haven't noticed anything particularly different since Nov. 2016 as someone mentioned, but my routine has not taken me to any of the troubled spots we all hear about on TV up here.

I'm currently in Padang Bai, Bali. I feel ridiculously safe here, as long as I stay out of Denpasar/Kuta

Hi OP,

I had a private conversation with a member. He mentioned that the UAE and Oman are completely safe. I did not ask him if alcohol is legal in either of those countries. I like to have an adult beverage to rinse the after taste of EANx from my mouth. I wonder if Coke will work the same?

@Diving Dubai seems to like it there. My wife and I would enjoy diving with he and his wife. They must know all of the best spots.

markm

Hi OP,

I had a private conversation with a member. He mentioned that the UAE and Oman are completely safe. I did not ask him if alcohol is legal in either of those countries. I like to have an adult beverage to rinse the after taste of EANx from my mouth. I wonder if Coke will work the same?

@Diving Dubai seems to like it there. My wife and I would enjoy diving with he and his wife. They must know all of the best spots.

markm

The short answer is Alcohol is freely available in licensed establishments (generally hotels) for the non resident. Residents can buy alcohol from certain outlets. I can buy alcohol legally in a muslim country cheaper than I can buy the same in say the UK

Oman and UAE - indeed most Middle East, crime is almost zero. Girls can walk home alone at 3am, I can leave the engine running in my car and the keys in and know it won't be stolen. I've left my iPhone and wallet on a bar gone to teh bathroom, chatted to someone and comeback 45 mins later and they're still there

If anything it's too safe and we have to concentrate and remember that other countries are't so safe and honest.

The only time we have theft is when there are big international events and the holidaymaking scum form the rest of the world descend with their thieving hands

The short answer is Alcohol is freely available in licensed establishments (generally hotels) for the non resident. Residents can buy alcohol from certain outlets. I can buy alcohol legally in a muslim country cheaper than I can buy the same in say the UK

Oman and UAE - indeed most Middle East, crime is almost zero. Girls can walk home alone at 3am, I can leave the engine running in my car and the keys in and know it won't be stolen. I've left my iPhone and wallet on a bar gone to teh bathroom, chatted to someone and comeback 45 mins later and they're still there

If anything it's too safe and we have to concentrate and remember that other countries are't so safe and honest.

The only time we have theft is when there are big international events and the holidaymaking scum form the rest of the world descend with their thieving hands

Hi DD,

Do you have posts that you can link that describe some of the dive sites? Anything that describes the general conditions and geology? Pictures? Are there full-on dive ops like in the Caribbean or other popular places?

thanks,
m

Do you have posts that you can link that describe some of the dive sites?

Hi Mark,

Some details of diving in UAE under this section of ScubaBoard

The Gulf

Most dive ops here in UAE only operate at weekends with some exceptions such as Divers Down, Freestyle and possibly the The Dive Centre at Sandy Beach.

All the boats are small and mid week I suspect you could be the only customer.

Okinawa, Japan. there isn't a safer country than Japan.

Is diving there very good and easily accessible from shore? Worth a dive trip there?

Back
Top Bottom