Safest locales for diving around the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are lots of places that major airlines fly that I wouldn't consider "safe". Jamaica and Haiti are two that quickly come to mind.

Detroit and Chicago also bust that myth

In 2017 I quite wanted to go to Egypt but my wife would not agree because of terrorism / russian plane crash. Instead we booked Madeira (a very safe place) for late September / early October.
On 17 August (abut 5 weeks before our holiday) a tree fell on a group of people only a few minutes from our hotel, and where we often sit in the evening. The tree killed 13 and injured 50.
We had our honeymoon in St Lucia, a few weeks after we left heavy rain caused landslides and totally wrecked our hotel.

You can never tell what will happen and where, the most dangerous part our holidays is probably driving to the airport on the M6, not the diving.

Hell, I fly out of ATL, and there's neighborhoods I won't drive through. But, I think that post was about Caribbean islands. :wink:

Just to toot my own horn like everybody else here do: Norway. One of the safest countries in the world (heck, people living in the countryside often don't bother locking their car or their front door), and no bears - in fact no large, human-unfriendly predators - at the coast. And some of the sites are world class. We probably won't even charge you if you need an airlift and a chamber ride, since we have single-payer healthcare.

Only downside is that pesky cold water requiring a drysuit. And the insane prices for beer.
How much is a typical beer in a typical pub? Just trying to figure out what’s insane. I think lining up at Russian River Brewing Co. for a pint of Pliney the Younger is insane, so let’s compare notes.

How much is a typical beer in a typical pub?
I don't go out often, but IIRC it's somewhere between 60 and 100 of the local currency depending on whether you want watery stuff like Carlsberg or something drinkable. Sizes are 0.33L bottle, 0.4L glass or 0.6L glass.

Small Hope Bay, Andros Island, Bahamas. Simply because it drove Americans crazy they finally put locks on the rooms after 50 years.

Anywhere on Little Cayman.

I will start with my experiences of the bad first.

Belize City and mainland Belize, I would stay clear of Belize City at all cost. The Airport is fine to get in and out of to get elsewhere. We have been to Belize 4 times and all stayed on Ambergris Cay in San Pedro. San Pedro was reality safe. During the day it is a very safe little town. Take the water taxi to Caye Culker (Very small Island) if you go. San Pedro, Locals are some of the nicest people I have ever met ,evening street food in the town center is awesome. Many festivals, parades by the locals. But at night in one of the local bars we had two guys cutting coke right there in the open. We were like WTF, and left quickly. Some of the bars at night are fine, just look before you decide to sit down and stay. I am a Marine and have traveled a bit. I am very aware of my surroundings and stand by the saying: If your looking around and get that feeling of you shouldn't be there or if it feels wrong, get out.

Now the good:
I am one of many that will say Little Cayman. My wife and I went twice. Walked from Southern Cross Club to the southern tip a few times, Went to the library for the Islands community event. Exceptionally nice people, and really I wouldn't worry about crime there since crime would be committed by humans and it is far less populated that most islands in the Caribbean.

Grand Cayman, Busy but I had no weird feelings during the day, Lots of Money and Tourism, I don't think the locals would let anything risk there income. My wife flew from Little Cayman for the day at Grand Cayman to get a tattoo. She felt safe the whole day. This most recent stop she needed a dentist. They made an opening for her. She was able to get a filling fixed during our layover.

Cozumel, We have been there 8 times, now were yearly visitors, 2017 we went 3 times, once with family. Town is very safe, Most locals know some English and you can work your way thru the rest. Hell if I can communicate in a pharmacy with a Spanish speaking person and still get it right, you can do it. The local area is fine walking around during the day, evening I have had no problems, and a large police presence as well. Cozumel has so much Diving/Cruise tourism even the Cartel Gangs won't mess with the economy of the island. We will be there again in May. It is our favorite place to go. Less expensive, Best diving I have found in Caribbean and wonderful people.

Bayahibe DR: We brought 4 people Jan 2019. We stayed at a AI Resort, and the food was not that great. 7 of the 9 nights we ate in town. We felt very safe. The local restaurants were very good, and English was widely spoken and USD always taken. The diving was ok, Not worth bringing the camera setup for me though.

Puerto Rico: We stayed at Palmas Delmar, Never had any worry of being unsafe, We spend a few of the days driving around San Juan and Humacao and Fajardo. Never had any issues. Diving in Fajardo was a waste of a day. I hear the Southern West side of the island is the best for diving. I haven't been there yet.

Hope this helps.

Hello all. Without getting into politics or debate, I'm just curious what some of the safest diving locales around the world might be. If I was by myself I would simply use street smarts and take my chances where ever I might go, but with other people, family and loved ones in the mix it changes the equation a bit. I'm sure there's plenty of places.

I know there might be a lot of replies stating "Be smart about where you go and mind your business" which can be said in many places, I already know this but I'm simply wondering what locations around the world are considered as reasonably safe or safer as most of the United States. Obviously not perfect, but not some where something truly creepy might happen.

Thanks for any help!
Okinawa

No one is going diving out of Detroit. And one charter used to go out of a nice Chicago marina, but that guy retired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom