Rules for doing a Maui Shore dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

river_sand_bar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Are there any specific rules that I need to be aware of for doing a shore dive in Maui? By rules, I mean are there red/while dive flags required or maybe diver floats?? We are thinking a few times we might just grab a couple of tanks and do a few on our own, but want to make sure we follow the rules.

If flags/floats are required, do the dive shops rent them, or should I pack an extra in my bag?

If you are doing one of the very popular sites, then I wouldn't bother hauling your own flag. This applies to Ulua, Black Rock, Old Airport. Technically you would be breaking the law at Ulua and Old Airport, but they are well enough known as scuba diving sites, and there are enough flags already out there that not hauling one is IMO a reasonable risk/reward tradeoff. I'm not positive, but I think that the area in close to Black Rock has been buoyed off and is a no-entry area for boats. Few, if any divers use flags there.

When going to less often dived sites, then a flag becomes more desireable.

If you are experienced enough to solve problem without surfacing, and know your air consumption and can control your dive so that you are back to knee deep water when you surface, then a dive flag doesn't add much safety.

The law is rarely enforced, except at beach with lifeguards, like the Kamaole Beachs. Since I gear up at the car, head directly to the water and submerge, and do the same when exiting, I did a half dozen dives over a week or so at Kam III before the lifeguards managed to stop me, and this was with them on high alert trying to catch me after the first day. :) No fine. Just told me to haul a flag.

You can rent flags at most dive shops.

Charlie is right in practice.

To be legal, a dive flag must be displayed when any underwater operations are in progress. Furthermore, barring any emergency, you must *surface* within 100' of flag.

There is no exclusion for areas where boats aren't allowed -- if you're underwater, you need a flag (legally).

It is also illegal to display a flag when no dive operations are in effect (i.e. you're supposed to take it out of the water when you're on your SI).

See: http://www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dbor/rules/amendment13240_13256.htm for the full text. :D

Some shops rent them, others only sell them. The only two I'm pretty sure of are Maui Dive Shop (tells you about law, but doesn't rent them) and Maui Dreams Dive Co. (tells you about law AND will rent one for a nominal fee -- I think $4/day or $10/week... but you should double check that).

FWIW, penalties may range from a finger-wagging to large fine. The large fine may or may not be accompanied by temporary confiscation of all your dive gear, to prove that there was no flag in your possession.

Keep in mind that we have had periods where theft of dive flags has been common. You could potentially use this to your advantage if you must give a story to an enforcement officer. :D

Another flag option that I have started using is this:

smb.jpg

I Stitched an old flag on a small smb and just roll it all up. I can either drag it the entire dive, anchor it, or inflate at the end of the dive and send it up while swimming back to the beach ...

I mention this because you probably have the parts to put one together sitting around the house and it's as easy to travel with as an smb :wink: Then you won't have to rent one while here.

Aloha, Tim

KrisB:
Some shops rent them, others only sell them. The only two I'm pretty sure of are Maui Dive Shop (tells you about law, but doesn't rent them) and Maui Dreams Dive Co. (tells you about law AND will rent one for a nominal fee -- I think $4/day or $10/week... but you should double check that).

We rented a dive flag/float from Maui Dive Shop last December, so unless they've changed their practice in the past few months, you might want to double check that.

kidspot:
I Stitched an old flag on a small smb and just roll it all up.
Awesome Tim!

Ignoring the dive flag requirement for the moment, that is a great way to increase the visibility of a small DSMB without add much bulk. I'm tempted to add a high visibility yellow or fluorescent green streamer on my DSMB.

Like a lot of great ideas, it's obvious, but only once you've been shown it. :)

Tim, THATS a GREAT idea.... as I have a all those parts already, just like you said..... gonna put it together tonight when I get home. I have a little mesh bag attached to the BCD with the smb inside.

YOU GUYS are sooo dang smart!!!!

So how do you guys feels about attaching something like this to the reef while we dive in the area??

We rented a dive flag/float from Maui Dive Shop last December, so unless they've changed their practice in the past few months, you might want to double check that.

Interesting... it wasn't first-hand, it was someone that I was diving with off the boat that mentioned it. They didn't mention WHICH MDS (it could have been one of the smaller shops -- but they did get the rest of their gear from them), but it sounded like an island-wide policy.

attaching something like this to the reef

I think most people around here would prefer you found something OTHER than reef to attach it to... :)

Most people use 2-4#'s of clip weights or tie it off to a rock that doesn't have anything living on it.

We rent a dive flag from B&B. I used to never use one but after getting caught 3 times by the same enforcement officer he told me I've been there too long to play the tourist card any longer. He was cool, I smiled and promised to repent and I drag a flag into the ocean every time now.

Back
Top Bottom