Rules for doing a Maui Shore dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would worry more about someone stealing my smb than my old float - so I think I'll just leave it in my pocket till it's time to surface.

Used mine today when I was ready for the boat to pick me up - worked like a charm. Took 3 minutes from the time I floated it till I heard the boat engine above me.

Aloha, Tim

Al Mialkovsky:
.... after getting caught 3 times by the same enforcement officer he told me I've been there too long to play the tourist card any longer. He was cool, I smiled and promised to repent and I drag a flag into the ocean every time now.
The only place I've heard of DLNR ever enforcing has been Makena Landing. Where were you stopped?

Charlie99:
The only place I've heard of DLNR ever enforcing has been Makena Landing. Where were you stopped?

I have been stopped for not having a dive flag by a Glock totin DLNR state law enforcement officer at Makena Landing.

I have the similar Sporasub torpedo float & flag. Excellent. Very visible. Very easy to tow.

Two things to watch out for --- don't overinflate it. It needs to be oval shaped to stay upright. If you overinflate it gets too circular and won't stay upright. Yeah. I learned the hard way. A couple of times before finally figuring it out. :)

The other thing is that, although it is very visible, most torpedo floats don't meet the legal requirement of a minimum 12"x12" flag. The sporasub is about 8x8". The link you posted doesn't specify size.

The lifeguards at Kam III beach don't know the legal requirement, so they have been happy with it. I've never had a DLNR guy look at my flag, that I know of. I'd go ahead and use it.

Charlie Allen

edit: third thing -- I didn't trust the flimsy flag mount on the Sporasub and added a few inches of line to tether the flag in case it pops out of the mount.

The other thing is that, although it is very visible, most torpedo floats don't meet the legal requirement of a minimum 12"x12" flag.

I think if push came to shove, the typical 24" round inner-tube style float probably wouldn't meet the legal requirement either -- it's not a flag that's flying, even though it has the right design on the top of it. :)

Last year I was approached for not having a flag at Ulua beach as was let go with a warning. I had rented gear from B&B and when I went back to switch my deads for new tanks and informed them that I was stopped they lent me a flag and float, no charge , for the rest of my stay.

I rented a flag from MDS at the Cannery Mall location back in July. Not many tanks available there but they did have a flag..

Back
Top Bottom